Puzzled: Setting battery to charge.

Beats

I just bought an Everstart Marine battery at Walmart along with a Schumacher charger.

Battery: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/everstart-marine-battery-27dc-850n/204674?trail=SRCH%3Amarine+battery&fromPLP=true&ancestorID=alldept&searchString=marine+battery&startSearch=yes&fromSearchBox=true&addFacet=SRCH%3Amarine+battery

Charger: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/15102-amp-marine-battery-charger/10045048?trail=SRCH%3Amarine+battery&fromPLP=true&ancestorID=alldept&searchString=marine+battery&startSearch=yes&fromSearchBox=true&addFacet=SRCH%3Amarine+battery

I'm a little hesitant to try out the charger because Im not positive I have the settings correct. The charger allows for Standard, AGM, and Gel settings.

The manual suggests that deep cycle batteries be charged on the AGM setting, yet everything I've read online suggests this battery isn't a true deep cycle and is more of a starting battery, and should be charged on the Standard setting.. Which setting do I want? It's misleading if its a starting battery when it clearly says "deep cycle" on the label.

It's just to drive a 30lb minnkota so Im sure it's strong enough, I just don't want to charge it incorrectly.

THanks.

It is not a deep cycle it is a cranking battery according to the specs for that battery. I don't know why it says deep cycle on the label. It's not even a combo.

If it's for your Minncotta take it back and get a deep cycle. That battery is not the one you want. A cranking battery is rated for a maximum number of charges from a discharge to 20%. If it is less then $120.00 you might not have a good battery in less than a year. Some batteries will enable you to go from 80% to 20% and recharge it hundreds of times. The $99.99 batteries will get you far less re charges from 20%, even less when fully drained.

Don't charge it, return it and get a deep cycle that allows the maximum charges you can budget for..

I have the same charger and battery. I will get a better battery when it dies, but I had a 650 or 700 and it worked hard for me for two seasons powering my Minn Kota for my Sportspal, and got the 850 as a warranty replacement.

I charge at 15A Standard.

It is not a deep cycle it is a cranking battery according to the specs for that battery. I don't know why it says deep cycle on the label. It's not even a combo.

Just curious why these specs make it a cranking battery? And what's a true deep cycle as I've noticed other batteries with the same specs called deep cycles.

I don't know a lot about batteries and trying to figure it all out....

Starting batteries have thinner plates and put out large current for a short time, deep cycle ones are the reverse. Most of the so called deep cycle/RV/Marine batteries are a hybrid, not quite one or the other. Real deep cycle batteries such as those used in golf carts, fork lifts, etc are pretty big and heavy, thicker plates. For the average Joe or Joan angler, the hybrids do the job and if the batteries are treated right will serve you a long time.

tn_gallery_21_272_8642.jpghttp://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&page=Battery-Charging#.UaU8akCTiSo

Here is the charging profiles in graph form to help you understand what the difference is between the charging rates. The link is for the rest of the info. Thank you Westmarine.

Art