Selecting an anchor

Beats

I am looking for suggestions for buying an anchor. My boat is a small 10' jon boat and will be used almost exclusively on a small local kettle pond. The pond gets fairly deep in the center 40'(?) and has a muddy, silt-like bottom. The boat would mostly be anchored in under 25 fow.

I have been leaning towards a Danforth anchor but I have no idea how heavy an anchor I should need. I want something heavy enough to do the job but not too heavy that its more awkward than it needs to be since I will be loading and unloading it constantly. I was even considering the old "fill a coffee container with concrete" trick since the boat is so small but I don't know if that would grab bottom well enough.. Is there a general rule for size of boat to anchor size??

Thanks.

Yeah, a ten pound of any anchor will do you fine. It is not so much the anchor that holds you in place but more about how much rope you let out. The rope acts like a shock absorber so you need to let out enough rope to let the anchor do the job. The rule of thumb I read in ontario out doors a few years back was if you are in 25 fow, let out 75 feet of rope. The chain acts like a secondary shock because it will lay on the lake bottom and only move up and down if the water is rough and the rope pulls too hard on it. The chain is typically not needed but useful when the time comes.

Adam

A ten foot jon boat should be fairly light, a ten - 12 pound anchor should be ok. Navy type, river style mushroom and 3/8 anchor line should be fine.

The paint can concrete anchors are fine in mud bottoms or places with a lot of rocks to get snagged on, you don't want to be buying a new anchor every trip.

if your talking about the ponds in south london,I would go with a mushroom anchor. The bottom is all mud and silt and lots of weed growth,mushroom anchors work great in the mud and do not dig into the weeds like a danforth would when pulling up.

5lb collapsible anchor. That is a teeny boat, and you don't require much of an anchor. Just make sure you have plenty of line for the depth your anchoring. I use a 5lb collapsible on a 14 foot tin boat, and seldom have issues except in the strongest of winds.

I like my Danforth.

Light and holds. Use a chain.

Yes, lots of rope is great for holding and also is good for working the fishing hole or shoal.

Anchor well up wind and let out rope until you get to where you think they are.

Cast around the boat until you find the fish.

You can then adjust the rope to allow you to get to the "right on" spot.

If you tie the rope to the port side rear it exposes the wind to the port side and will push you starboard. Tie starboard and pushes you port.

If you tie on the bow, it will swing you side to side.

Having places to tie along the side will fine tune if you need to.

It's often handy to use a marker on the spot to adjust where you are as well.

Edited by Bernie

If you choose the jug option make it easier on yourself and don't fill it with cement. Travel light and fill it with the amount of sand you need from where you launch....dump it when you get back to shore.