Where to Pick up a Flat of Worms

adempsey

Heading out to White River next month and want to pick up a flat or half-flat of worms along the way for our trip. Last year I picked them up just outside of Sault Ste. Marie at The Trading Post. I think I paid $65 for a flat. Was going to order them from there again, but figured I'd ask if anyone had any other suggestions.

I will be driving along Highway 17.

Thanks.

Edited by FishLogic

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Ya, I am unlikely to veer too far off my route to save $20. Still, good to know of all the options.

My preference was to pick them up further into my trip (Sault Ste. Marie or further west) so I don't have to worry about them in the car too much. Although, it's probably not a big deal with some ice packs. Still, one less thing to worry about. Might get them from the new Pagonis store as it's just off the 400, although he never quoted me a price for a flat so I may just stick to my original plan.

Not sure about "flat" worms...?

One of my guests who does the very best on walleyes.... uses "straight" worms only......

These are only available at fine bait dealers... But man do they work...!!!

Stay away from the crooked worms...!

the capt.. :whistling:

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Ya, I am unlikely to veer too far off my route to save $20. Still, good to know of all the options.

My preference was to pick them up further into my trip (Sault Ste. Marie or further west) so I don't have to worry about them in the car too much. Although, it's probably not a big deal with some ice packs. Still, one less thing to worry about. Might get them from the new Pagonis store as it's just off the 400, although he never quoted me a price for a flat so I may just stick to my original plan.

Excellant worms here FishLogic, $35-40 for a flat of 500. For an extra $10 they will pack them in a heavy duty styrofoam cooler that you can reuse every year.

I will be picking up a flat first week of June for the drive up to Nakina.

WW

There is a guy in Stoney Creek that sells them from his house at around $35\flat. May vary to $40 at times but usually no more. But is also a bit of a trek for you as well.

Could/would you share where this guy is or how to contact him? Stoney Creek is close for me. Thanks

Guys will spend ... hours, searching the web... to try and save $10-20 (o.k.. maybe $40-60)... maybe? on a flat of worms... get the best price...

Then end up in some fishing lodge and put the flat in the guy's fridge... the worms... crawl and the owner of the lodge has to completely tear the fridge apart.... (all the inside walls)... the worms.. get into every space.... two hours or more to clean up this mess....

Party of six guys.. saving what $30.00.. (this is $5.00 per guy)... on a trip that probably costs them.. maybe $250-$500 per guy... Same guys spending each $80 on two cases of beer...

Sheesh... total nonsense...

:stretcher:

Pretty much any tackle store will take your order for any quantity and you can pick up the day before you leave. We will order anywhere from 300-500 for a trip and we get them in a very nice tightly packed styrofoam container. Try a local tackle store next time.

BTW-which lake are you fishing out of Nakina? Have a great trip!

Edited by wantabigone

For those in the GTA, I found the conversation I had with another fellow board member last year. Last year he said the following two places sold flats for 30$:

Spagnolias bait whole sale off Black Creek and a worm wholesaler on Birch Mount Rd.

Spagnolias bait whole sale off Black Creek

I am sure that is Pagonis and, according to the email reply I received from them, their new store is at 11 Gordon Mackay Rd, which is right near that warehouse.

Thanks for the correction, did he confirm the 30$ price?

I am sure that is Pagonis and, according to the email reply I received from them, their new store is at 11 Gordon Mackay Rd, which is right near that warehouse.

This place sends truck loads south of the border every other day and also stocks most of the big box stores, Bass Pro, etc.

Good fresh worms, reasonable prices.

Fishlogic,

Call my Dad, Ed at Ed's Live Bait in White River at: 807 822-1609. Not sure what he will sell you a flat for, but I know he has them. He also has bulk, locally caught leeches and medium sucker minnows that work very well...

Good luck!

I don't know why I didn't search White River for a bait shop. Should have been the first place for me to look, LOL.

I'll see if I can arrange something with Ed since I will be there and gone between business hours. If not, I will stick to my plan to hit Pagonis.

Thanks again!