Some NE Ont. trout opener action

Joeytier

Well opening day was a scorcher, and the fishing was...lukewarm. The lakes are still ice cold so I opted to take advantage of what I thought would be some super shallow laker fishing. Miraculously, the trail into the lake [which was already brutal to begin with] had not deteriorated much at all over the winter and the old tundra made it in with relative ease.

The fish were hungry but not where I was expecting them to be. Running keel weights [5/8 to 3/4 oz] and flutter spoons
[snelled worm or none didn't seem to matter] over 50 + fow was the ticket to laker city. After a quick five fish we had just enough time to squeeze in a fantastic fresh shore lunch before dark. After an early departure to the tent I later found out the aurora borealis had been out that night and brighter than its been in quite some time.. :wallbash: Oh well

The weather went for a dump for the rest of the weekend so that was it for me. Cold rain and overnight lows around zero most of this week will keep things nice and cool for a nice extended spring laker season. The walters can wait :w00t:

IMG_1243_zps0c96d58c.jpg

First laker in a couple months...I was pumped!

IMG_1251_zps748cffd1.jpg

IMG_1254_zps4cec1a8d.jpg

IMG_1255_zps95c5a759.jpg

The spoils...

IMG_1256_zps740e49f9.jpg

Thanks for reading

Nice ride. Didn't realize you had a tolling motor to go with it. Now all my regular fishing buddies have their own sportspals...good thing i have 4x4 or I'd have to find new friends hahaha.

You didn't miss much on Monday...walleye were sleeping. I still have a hankering for some trout fishing this spring, but my trout record was so bad this year that I'm ready to catch some pike....maybe even some bass!