An Amazing New Float Reel Built By A Fellow OFC Member!

solopaddler

First off I'll give thanks to where it's due,

Mike Borger for getting me into float fishing and for all the inspiring reports over the years, and for helping in the feedback and testing, I am greatful my friend.

Spiel for letting me fit them on his array of reel seats and for some suggestions

To the local reel makers, Esp. Ron Gardiner and to Al Taylor, for their inspiring work and support

Thanks for the kind words as well, guys. I did try to incorporate people's wants and needs, hopefully I addressed most of it

Edited by spinnerdoc

That black matte design is purdy!

The three handle i might say to just make it a one handle, ya can only use one at a time anyway lol (not sure how that would effect the balance of the reel when peeling line in a slow drift)

Glad you like them bud. My original plan for the 3 spokes were to have just one handle and 2 counter weights

Glad you like them bud. My original plan for the 3 spokes were to have just one handle and 2 counter weights

Love em'....Youve got a designers eye for sure, you can tell when someone just starts pokin holes in aluminum in a rythmic pattern vs. when someone puts detailed thought into every step of a reel design. Impressive

Love em'....Youve got a designers eye for sure, you can tell when someone just starts pokin holes in aluminum in a rythmic pattern vs. when someone puts detailed thought into every step of a reel design. Impressive

You are so kind my friend. I wanted to offer something a fresh approach.

Blown away.

Works of art really. Must be tough selling or giving away babies like those.

If I guess their names do I get the first born? Going with... Razorback over Rumplestiltskin. Did I win??? lol.

Nicely done...

I went with something a little subtle. He's actually me second boy, and his name is Eliot. First one is Ethan.

Thanks for the kind words bud

• 5 months later...

For the first time I have all 4 reels in one roof, but if only for a few hours. I snapped a few pics with the new parts installed. ..could not resist and off it goes again.

20131030_132529.jpg

20131030_132621.jpg

This one I will miss...

20131030_131840.jpg

20131030_132018.jpg

I kept a few for the kids....and me :). This one is mine.

20131104_131502.jpg

20131104_131340.jpg

PS: Thanks to the guys who stood by me.

PS: Thanks to the guys who stood by me.

Without getting into details as it's just not worth it, Edwin was unfairly criticized on another board for supposedly copying someone elses design. An utterly ridiculous claim as is his reels are quite unique imo.

I'm happy to give Edwin my support, the man deserves it.

For those who are interested I've fished one of Edwin's reels since last spring and it's been flawless, just a joy to fish. Largest diameter reel I've ever fished yet also one of the lightest and smoothest.

The only thing that took some getting used to was the lack of a clicker mechanism. Edwin's reels have a simple locking mechanism that's engaged by turning a small knob on the back plate.

The only other reel I've ever seen that's even remotely similar are some of Al Taylors lovely heavily ported creations. Some of Al's reels also incorporate a locking mechanism.

Once again well done my friend!