An Amazing New Float Reel Built By A Fellow OFC Member!

solopaddler

This post is a big shout out and pat on the back to a VERY talented fellow board member!

Back in mid April Edwin Aquino (spinnerdoc is his handle on the board), contacted me about a series of new float reels he was building. The idea was to get one of his reels into my hands so I could fish it and provide some feedback. The unfortunate part was I aquired the reel with very little time left in the spring season, however I did get to fish the reel several times and I'm honestly blown away!

He has made a total of 12 reels, and has decided to call them the "Razorback". There are 4 different porting patterns, 3 reels built for each pattern, so they're all quite unique and rare.

First off each reel is 51/4" in diameter and each one is right around 8oz in weight.

They're heavily ported works of art with each back plate mirroring the front. There is no clicker on these reels, instead there's a tiny knob on the backplate that when turned locks the reel.

For those of you guys who are familiar with Al Taylors wonderful handmade creations, Edwin's reels are VERY similar. Al's reels are the only other ones I've ever seen made with a locking mechanism rather than a clicker.

He has two different finishes on these reels. Both of them are matte hardcoat finishes. One is flat black, the other can only be described as matte platinum. These reels have the most flawless finish I've ever seen on a float reel. That is a direct result of the hours Edwin spent buffing and polishing each reel before they were sent off for annodizing.

The tolerances on these reels are also incredibly fine, it's obvious that an enormous amount of precision went into their construction.

As you'll also see in the pic's each reel foot is one piece, fully integrated into the backplate. There are no screws.

He put abec 7 bearings in them, and at least the one I have spins like a dream.

All in all I couldn't be more impressed. The 51/4" diameter is great to fish and reel is just so featherlight it's incredible.

About the ONLY thing I can complain about is the handles. They're kind of thick and chunky. I much prefer something slimmer and more tapered. That however is a minor point as handles can be changed.

I know Edwin will be selling these reels, but I'll let him handle that. Price wise they'll be in the same range as a Milner or Angspec (I'm sure he can confirm that) and worth every single penny imo.

He's in the process of getting boxes made for the reels as well as neoprene pouches and will be ready very soon.

I know he's been preoccupied with other more important things as he and his wife had a new baby boy arrive last week (congrat's again bud!)

With that said, here's some pic's of two of his creations. I'm currently fishing the black two handled reel:

NewFloatReel017.jpg

NewFloatReel015.jpg

NewFloatReel016.jpg

NewFloatReel009.jpg

NewFloatReel005.jpg

NewFloatReel007.jpg

Also for those that are interested here's a link to Edwin's photobucket album showing the other porting patterns he's created:

http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/spinnerdoc/library/RAZORBACK%20Series?sort=6&page=1#/user/spinnerdoc/library/RAZORBACK%20Series?sort=6&page=1&_suid=136870489595305273469894447952

Well done my friend!

Cheers

Never used that type of reel Mike, or even held one in my hand for that matter, but it doesn't take a trained eye to know that's definitely a quality product, infact darned near a piece of art.

Beautiful work for sure spinnerdoc !!

sign me up for a black 2 handle version :D , awesome work

Anybody who's interested in a reel can likely pm spinnerdoc for details.

Also Jeff, you're welcome to check out the reel I have in my possession. That goes for anyone else who lives in the Hamilton area too.

Cheers

So... newbie question here... What are the differences between float reels and fly reels? And with float fishing, do you line it with regular fishing line or fly line?

Float reel - free spooling, designed to pay out line at the pace of the current to give a drag free drift, normally larger diameter than an average freshwater fly reel, narrower and shallower spool. No drag (on most) and just has a clicker to stop it free spooling line all over the place when moving around with a rigged up rod. Designed to carry about 200yds of 8lb mono.

Fly reel - no free spool, has a permamnent check mechanism to stop line coming off the spool unless it's pulled by the angler, deeper, wider spool to carry a thick fly line (~90ft long) plus 50-200yds of dacron backing. Many have a adjustable drag especially in larger sizes.

Example - float reel on left, fly reel on right, it doesn't look it but the fly reel sppol is quite a bit wider......

reels.jpg

Mike, those reels looks great, fantastic pieces of engineering - great job spinnerdoc!

Wow, great looking reels!

I'd love to get a look at one in person. Are all 12 spoken for?

Paul

No worries Paul I don't think any have been spoken for, beyond the one I'm fishing.

I'm in Hamilton if you want to check out mine, Edwin is in Mississauga.

Cheers

I hope not. Im waiting for a reply,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Edwin warned me he might not answer pm's or emails right away. Him and his wife just had a new baby boy so they're preoccupied.

All in due time my friend.