Stuck lower end oil caps?

tb4me

Hey how is everyone today?....So on the weekend I decide to get the stuff to change the lower end unit gear oil. I got new washers and enough gear oil to do the job. Then I tried to get the bottom cap out of the gear case..That's where I had to stop. I had a big wide screwdriver and no go. I don't want to destroy the screw-cap trying to get it off. So I have decided to wait till next weekend to complete the job. I wanted to check in here to see how you folks get them out? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Stick your screwdriver in the offending drain plug and while putting counter clockwise (lefty loosy) give the handle of the screwdriver a couple of raps with a hammer. This should break it loose.

If not you may need to give it a whack with one of these.

2011-07-19_205403_impactdriver.jpg

these are a PITA. i'm struggling with mine too. gonna try it again this wknd.

largest slot screwdriver i've been able to find has a 3/8" wide head but I think 1/2" would work even better.
almost need one of them old school drag link sockets.

Drag+Link+Socket.png

the impact driver would work but i've not been able to find a bit with a wide enough head.. and i don't want to mess up the screw in there using a too-small head.

Edited by Raf

I usually change the oil at the end of the season before storing for the winter in case of water could freeze/cause cracking. But as for your question, get yourself a drill with a bit that fits snug so to minimize any slipping/stripping of the head (on low torque), but hand tighten with a larger screw driver when putting back on.

Cool I will try the bigger screw driver first. I went to cdn tire and bought the biggest screwdriver I could find and took it to the bench grinder. It now has a big wide fat tip on it..If that don't work ill try the impact tool. I also went back to Dundas Marine in Waterdown today and bought new screws. These have a hex type head instead of a slot..