kawartha walleye opener

I managed to get out for walleye opener on a kawartha lake on saturday. i got got to the launch for first light and on the second cast my fishing partner brought in a 20 inch over slot walleye. We knew it was going to be a great day as we finished the year on this lake doing very well last year.

After he brought in the first one we didnt hit another fish for 30 minutes and began to wonder. started to move around again and found some nice weeds. rip jigged bucktail jiggs for a an hour and landed another 3 or 4.

We were still not satisfied with the numbers so decided to run to the opposite side of the lake. glad we made the move. landed 22 walleye in the next 3 hours. biggest was 21 inches. many double headers.

ended the day with some quality numbers and a few big fish. very successful walleye opener

walleye opener.jpg

Sweet. Lots of lakes considered in 'the Kawarthas'...which lake, if you don't mind me asking. And if that inquiry this draws the ire of the Board...sorry...but there are a lot of lakes and a lot of square miles of water and therefore seems like a reasonable question. I don't think it would give anything away necessarily.

Sweet. Lots of lakes considered in 'the Kawarthas'...which lake, if you don't mind me asking. And if that inquiry this draws the ire of the Board...sorry...but there are a lot of lakes and a lot of square miles of water and therefore seems like a reasonable question. I don't think it would give anything away necessarily.

Then why ask?

Nice eyes mang. Things finally get rolling up here Sat.

We got 18 on opening day. Many were under the slot by a 1/4 inch. 4 were in the slot and 2 over. The largest was 23" and caught on a bucktail, most others were caught on a beetle spin type lure being run over the weeds. I did find it tough though and we had to work for the ones we caught. My go to spots did not produce, so there was lots of searching going on.

Might want to try sending a PM or something. I always thought that seemed like a reasonable question too. Might keep an angler from fishing a waterbody thats got nothing but bass in it. I could see if its a small waterbody you might want to keep it secret. Then again, what do I know. Most guys are not even likely to tell you what lure they were using much less what lake they were fishing.

Then why ask?

Nice eyes mang. Things finally get rolling up here Sat.

I ask because I'm interested in the prospect of the Kawarthas walleye fishing rebounding to a level that makes a 9-hour trip worthwhile once again to a beautiful area of Canada. It's a simply a question of what lake...not what depth, what presentation, what specific bait, what location on the lake, or even the fundamental structural element that is holding fish. If it's true that 90% of fish are in 2% of the lake volume, it's seems extremely unlikely anyone could 'steal' a secret with such a small piece of information. Never understood the secrecy of this kind. And agreed, if it's a back lake tucked away and off the main grid it's cool to keep it a close secret to only be shared with close friends.