Lake st clair guide?

mcdougy

I have a friend who is turning 40, for his birthday gift from his wife he wants to go on a guided musky trip on lake st clair. Was hoping I could get some recommendations on some good charter captain, who could help this guy fufill his his hopes and dreams of catching a musky. His plan was for some time in June. He would like a fully guide trip as in all gear and boat supplied.Thanks for the help!!

Matt

Edited by mcdougy

Thanks Fisher...I've got no open dates until August though. Wish I could help em. And I'd surely like to know who doesn't respect the fishery.

I am guessing he is referring to trollers that torpedo fish instead of releasing them properly. That bugs me too. The original post does not specify trolling or casting though, which would help narrow down the choice.

Whomever you choose do it now. All the good ones fill their books early, the ones not booked full early are not booked for a reason. The reason being they probably are the ones you don't want to go with and it is reflected in their demand. Just like someone with camps not full for openings, no fish or bad accommodations. The economy does come into play in some cases I concede that. Some good guides and camps had waiting lists way back when and some still do, those are the ones we want to go with.

many guys dont realize. many of the larger boats have specialty revival tanks. custom built with aeraters. after a fish is de-hooked its put into this tank. when the fish is revived its then slid over the side.this is not a livewell... st clair guys have upped the bar. no-where else is this being done. ensuring alpha fish survive to fight again.. st clair had a commercial fishery gillnetting. if it was not for the guides/sportsmen s efforts to remove netting the lake would have been decimated decades ago.. i am amazed at the negative factors of so few when theres literally thousands of musky guys that cherish the fishery. michigan dnr quoted 180.000 muskies in a survey. so in closing we should put efforts to the positive.

c,mon down and enjoy the great fishery...its for everyone guys. just put them back for your kids

Edited by outlaw

c,mon down and enjoy the great fishery...its for everyone guys. just put them back for your kids

We'll be down in November as always George, it's a trip I look forward to all year.

many guys dont realize. many of the larger boats have specialty revival tanks. custom built with aeraters. after a fish is de-hooked its put into this tank. when the fish is revived its then slid over the side.this is not a livewell... st clair guys have upped the bar. no-where else is this being done. ensuring alpha fish survive to fight again.. st clair had a commercial fishery gillnetting. if it was not for the guides/sportsmen s efforts to remove netting the lake would have been decimated decades ago.. i am amazed at the negative factors of so few when theres literally thousands of musky guys that cherish the fishery. michigan dnr quoted 180.000 muskies in a survey. so in closing we should put efforts to the positive.

I wouldn't be too quick to give credit to the guides/sportsmen for getting rid of the commercial fishing. The credit or discredit goes to Dow chemical for the decades of mercury contamination that was discovered in the 60's. In the early 70's fishing was banned on both sides of the border because of the high levels of mercury. Michigan and Ontario initiated law suits. Dow reached an out of court settlement with Ontario and the commercial licences were bought out.

Thanks for your input fellas!! I never even thought about there being the 2 ways of charter fishing for them. I will get ahold of him and see what his preference is. Should also note he is thinking of having a few buddies join him. This would make a total of 3 fisherman possibly 4. that may change the style choice/options a little also? Maybe you could fill me in if there is still a casting type charter for this many bodies?

I wouldn't be too quick to give credit to the guides/sportsmen for getting rid of the commercial fishing. The credit or discredit goes to Dow chemical for the decades of mercury contamination that was discovered in the 60's. In the early 70's fishing was banned on both sides of the border because of the high levels of mercury. Michigan and Ontario initiated law suits. Dow reached an out of court settlement with Ontario and the commercial licences were bought out.

the commercial was banned in 1969. a few years later the mnr met with the local sportsfishermen at windsor sportsmen club.. there was a NEARriot. the folks spoke. the commercial licenses were bought out from the govermement.. the remaining 2 were course fish only.. they are defunct now..i was at the meeting. once again it was the guides/charteboats that were at the forefront.. its not a perfect world,no doubt but at least st clair is a mecca for sportsfishing.

anyone ever been to sarnia??? just wondering what flows into LSC this day and age........ I can inmagine what leaches into the river from the contaminated groundfrom years past .....nevermind the outflows of the refineries each day

Edited by Smellybox

sarnia is a mess. lots of stuff flows in to lake st clair. this lake has one of the quickest water cycles. the water of the entire lake can be flushed with new water via the st clair river/lake huron in as little as 5-7 days so ive heard. lots of water flow through the lake and im sure some contaminants with it.

it sure is productive for muskie though, whichever guide you choose I'm sure you will get into some fish!

• 1 month later...

Went out today with chartertalk. Awesome day.. Great weather.Great guide.Great Friends.Great Fishing ,Great Gear. 5 star rating for sure, Boat is very impressive. THANKS ALOT BOB. All three of us caught some beautys. And thanks to members that helped with recomendations

Matt

Edited by mcdougy