Veradaro Fishing

kemper

Hey OFC,

Heading to Cuba for a week of R and R next week - will be staying at the Iberostar Playa Alameda.

I was thinking I'd bring my 8wt fly rod along and toss some flies into the surf while I was there. Anyone with experience say yay or nay?

Thanks,

Kemper

If you're just fishing the surf, bring a med action spinning outfit and a few jigs. Tip them with half a shrimp and hold on.

I was thinking about that, but I don't have a 4 piece spinning set-up.

My 8 weight breaks down and fits nicely in my suitcase...

• the water is pretty calm but not very deep. You'll be able to see needle fish close to shore where you can cast at. (hard to catch cuz of their Gar like mouth) Lots of net fisherman on the beach so they can help you a bit.

I was there Christmas time and there are 3-4 places outside of a charter. And btw there are far better deals to be had if you go to the charter guys at the docks yourself. So you can fish across the street from your hotel. Other side of the golf course across the highway. There are a ton of small fish you can catch with a hand line and small hooks, I would grab some raw shrimp and squid from the buffet. I was hooking them and casting them out with no luck... But the hand fishing is fun for a few hours. Thee is a local who fishes there every morning. Very nice guy I gave him actin of stuff before I left. Then there is a spot near the mall and the channels. Easy to find them all. Bring a pile of cheap line 5 lb and 1/0 hooks and weights and you will easily make slot of friends with locals.