First fish on the fly

Locnar

First fish on the fly! Not very big, or impressive... but it's a start. Caught about 9 of these little guys today. And lost one that was significantly bigger, by the looks of it... it was nearly 16 inches.

439uRry.jpg

Also saw lots and lots of these nasty things in the river. This one was the biggest.

Ksl6RNf.jpg

nice go on the fly, the first is always the hardest, i got 2 on the weekend that were a lot smaller, not even half the size of yours

the second pic is a sad sight to see, as it looks like the belly was split, someone farming roe and letting the fish spoil

Edited by FloatnFly

as it looks like the belly was split, someone farming roe and letting the fish spoil

This late into the season? I dont think so. Looks like a sad drop back,that didnt make it.IMO.

Nice first there. I started the same. Happy as can be

I improved this weekend. Getting bigger.

Keep ater. Love the fly.

This late into the season? I dont think so. Looks like a sad drop back,that didnt make it.IMO.

Nice first there. I started the same. Happy as a gay man.

I improved this weekend. Getting bigger.

Keep ater. Love the fly.

lots of fish still moving up and on the redds where i fish, plus lots waiting to come up, its a pretty fat belly to be a drop back

The belly didn't look slit open to me. There were many others as well... this one was by far the biggest.

I'll be gettin' back out there when I get my next day off... which is in like... 9 bloody days... It's definitely an interesting style of fishing. After I lost that much nicer sized trout, I'm gonna have to redeem myself.

The belly didn't look slit open to me. There were many others as well... this one was by far the biggest.

I'll be gettin' back out there when I get my next day off... which is in like... 9 bloody days... It's definitely an interesting style of fishing. After I lost that much nicer sized trout, I'm gonna have to redeem myself.

i was just judging by the dark line down the centre of the belly just behind the gills from the picture

and you will redeem yourself, even if its not in the spring, theres the fall run to consider when they're much stronger fresh from the lake

Even to get some decent sized resident brookies or browns and I'd be ecstatic. Trout fishing has always been a mystery to me, so this is already a big step up from where I was before today.

6wt will do you well for bows and browns, but for brookies, 4wt or even 3 would be better. personally i went with an 8wt this year, was hooking into fish in the 10lb range and felt more comfortable with the 8wt over my 6wt