What a difference a day makes!

Big Cliff

Yesterday I hit a favorite crappie hole, water temp 57-59° during the couple of hours I was there.

it started off slow but overall the catching was pretty good, not a lot of huge ones but I did manage to bring home 20 decent size ones for a fish fry I promissed some friends.

Today I decided to head back over just for a bit of fun. Water temp was up to 66° and the crappie were few and far between. I moved around quite a bit trying to see if I could find them but in two hours of fishing only managed 2 small ones.

I decided to explore another old favorite spot but the water temp in there was only 54° and in 1/2 an hour fishing I didn't get a single bite.

Oh well, time to change tactics and try early morning or evening.

The real key seems to be that 58-62° water no matter what the time of day.

How do you clean your crappie Cliff?

I have never kept them (a walleye and perch type mostly) but do like to catch to eat, so I am thinking of giving them a go. I have looked on the interweb and it seems rather straight forward (no radial bone by the looks of it), but there are 10 different ways of cleaning walleye and perch (on the net) and half of them leave in bones that I cut out. So I am wondering if you (or anyone) could post a link for the best boneless way to fillet a crappie.

Thanks!

Jim

How do you clean your crappie Cliff?

I have never kept them (a walleye and perch type mostly) but do like to catch to eat, so I am thinking of giving them a go. I have looked on the interweb and it seems rather straight forward (no radial bone by the looks of it), but there are 10 different ways of cleaning walleye and perch (on the net) and half of them leave in bones that I cut out. So I am wondering if you (or anyone) could post a link for the best boneless way to fillet a crappie.

Thanks!

Jim

Try this. Who says you can't fillet them ....

Edited by letsgofishing

Big Cliff,

Just curious what depth you are taking those temp readings at? I'm guessing close to the surface if you are getting readings that high this early in the year? I'd think the depth the fish are at would be consistantly colder. Or are crappie found close to the surface (i've never fished them)

Temperatures are about 1' below surface. Crappie like very shallow water this time of the year and you typically fish for them just under the surface.

I'm not sure how much difference there is in the water temperature at 2, 3, or 4 feet down but I do know that when I can find that 58-62° range that is when they seem most active for the style of fishing I typically do.

That doesn't mean I don't catch any outside of that temperature range, I have often caught them ice fishing and in the middle of the summer but when I have catches of a 100 fish in a couple of hours it's always when the water is in that range.

My family cringes when they see me fileting fish. Lol. They always claim, "You're wasting so much meat off the spine and ribs!" It is true, there's quite a bit more meat that's left. There's probably another 10-15% of the fish meat that you're not eating.

I only agree with that 20% though, because I hate picking bones out of meat, especially fish bones.

Yes, but what meat I don't get off the bones goes into the pot bones and all to make fish stock. Try it some time if you like to make chowders and suchit makes an excellent stock for your base. Waste not want not!