Drag problems

Jarfish

Hey Guys

I was wondering if any of you fine folks could help me with some problems I'm having with my drag. I have 3 winch type reels that I use for down rigging, and it seems that after reeling in for awhile, the drag starts to slack off. This gets to be very annoying having to tighten the drag every time I reel in. I have a Okuma Magda Pro and a Shimano Triton 300 and I don't know what the other one is.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks

Jake

I haven't had that particular problem but I'm sure someone will have an idea.

One tip that I was given a while ago to help keep my drags happy was to back off the tension when the reel wasn't in use.

Good advice Rob.

It may be posible that your setting your drag to lite?

That will destroy any reel in no time.

What line are you using?

Mono has lots of give to it.

Tighten up yor drag to the point you think it would break then back off 1/4 turn.

Edited by saltydawg

Awesome, I'll give that a try next time. It's Trilene XL 20# if I remember correctly. I usually have the drag up pretty good as too get the fish in as fast as possible, but I'll try the 1/4 turn next time I'm out.

If fighting fish, maybe u need to grease or clean/replace your drag , or maybe its not sealed waterproff drag and its getting wet and shuddering if it isn't your line slipping......you service the reel lately and install the stacks wrong?