Grill/Smoker Thoughts...NF

Fishnwire

I'm thinking about buying a new charcoal grill. I've got a NG BBQ but enjoy the whole charcoal thing when I have the time. There's one at CTC that I like. It has a coal-grate that you can adjust the height of...allowing for temperature control.

The other one I'm looking at is a dual-barrel grill/smoker combo...this one.

130424E_28_0_exNS_12a.JPG

I like the idea of trying my hand at smoking some ribs or brisket. It doesn't have an adjustable coal-grate though. I only want to give that up if the smoker attachment makes it worth it.

Does anyone have one of these, do you use the smoker chamber much, and how do you like it? Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by fishNwire

I am a char-griller, I switched years ago from propane and am never looking back.

I have owned the one you pictured, bought it at CTC, it lasted about 6 months... the offset smoking chamber rusted right out, the paint used could not stand up to the heat of the charcoal. The airflow inlet on the side of the offset rusted and was no longer useful, and it held very little charcoal so if you wanted to do an overnight smoke you would need to wake up several times to add more.

Temp control was also not the easiest when smoking with this unit. it was a waste of 99.00 in my opinion... you get what you pay for I guess.

I still prefer my standard Weber kettle, and am now looking at a new one

909220pri_4.jpg

I can and do smoke on it currently... while it is more of a hot smoke it produces decent enough results.

If I won the lotto my first purchase would be a Big Green Egg.. they truly are the cats bottom when it comes to a smoker/grill combo

Good luck in your search

G

Edited by Gerritt

Ohhh and the other thing I should mention with the Que you have pictured is you really need to watch the wind/breeze with it.. you will be making constant adjustments moving the BBQ as wind direction changes to keep the charcoal bin facing into the wind... otherwise it will actually push any heat/smoke out the side vent of the charcoal bin (reverse convection?)

G

Thats probably the unit I have as well Fish Logic... a simple Weber BBQ... on its 4th year now and I love it it does everything I need it too.

I am thinking of upgrading to the one I pictured for a few reasons...

Table space, charcoal bin, and it is propane fired.,,, no more lighter fluid or electric starters

and a removable temp/timer

just another step up from the plain Weber grill.(Which is awesome BTW)

Good luck in what every you decide :)

On a side note I found this funny...

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/weber-q-rolling-cart/918638 <--- for only 2750.00! Who could afford the grill when the rotissrie costs this much! LOL

G

I have the Weber Performer pictured above, the grill size is 22.5", the propane start is nice....

For BBQing ribs, brisket, pork shoulder and chicken I use the Weber Smokey Mountian Cooker. This is THE bullet smoker. Others out there are not worth playing with. Alot cheaper than an Egg (or other komado style units), portable (I take mine camping etc.), and can produce fantastic BBQ.

Burt :)

Thanks for the input, guys.

What I'm hearing is that the one I have pictured is going to burn out in no time. Part of me suspected that.

Yeah...if money was no option I'd pick up one of those Big Green Eggs. She'll never go for it though.

I have a concern about the Weber that is pictured. My buddy has a similar one but the thing I don't like about it is the lid is not hinged. Every time you want access to the grill you have to take off the dome and find some place to set it down. A bit of a PITA, in my opinion. Is that lid hinged?

On the performer it is not hinged, but see the stainless steel "hoop" on the left hand side of the picture attached to the BBQ? that is what holds the lid.. So you do not have to look for someplace to put the lid, the holder for the lid is built in!

Or you can go with an old school Weber... for less money and still have a better BBQ then the Charbroil you posted... Trust me that unit is a waste of $$ and frustration, been there have the battle scars to prove just how much I grew to hate that grill..

G

I have the Same smoker as pictured above, best hundred bucks I ever spent. I am upgrading to an ugly drum smoker this summer.somi can set it and forget it. But that one will cook some mean ribs . brisket takes about 15 hours so I start it on the smoker then in the oven overnight. Notihing like waking up to the smell of smoked brisket in the mornin

I am a char-griller, I switched years ago from propane and am never looking back.

I have owned the one you pictured, bought it at CTC, it lasted about 6 months... the offset smoking chamber rusted right out, the paint used could not stand up to the heat of the charcoal. The airflow inlet on the side of the offset rusted and was no longer useful, and it held very little charcoal so if you wanted to do an overnight smoke you would need to wake up several times to add more.

Temp control was also not the easiest when smoking with this unit. it was a waste of 99.00 in my opinion... you get what you pay for I guess.

I still prefer my standard Weber kettle, and am now looking at a new one

909220pri_4.jpg

I can and do smoke on it currently... while it is more of a hot smoke it produces decent enough results.

If I won the lotto my first purchase would be a Big Green Egg.. they truly are the cats bottom when it comes to a smoker/grill combo

Good luck in your search

G

Gerritt I have to agree with you on the Green Egg, Bought 1 5yrs ago and never went back to Propane or any other.. Greatest BBQ and Smoker you could ever get and yes a little expensive but in the long run WORTH IT.. Porcelain is guarantee not to break with regular use.. Don,t knock it

over

Check with Paul(Mercman) and see if he can help you out

Thanks guys. You've given me some things to think about.

The Big Green Egg is not happening...not right now anyway. I just bought a new house and have a baby on the way. She'll never go for it, and I'd probably just lose it in the resulting divorce anyway.

I might still try the double barrel one. It's on sale at CTC for about $125 bucks. If I get a year or two out of it, I'll be fine with that. Plus, if it burns out/falls apart I can tell my wife, "You get what you pay for...I guess I'll have to spend more for something that lasts", and then look at Webers or maybe even the Egg.

Thanks guys. You've given me some things to think about.

The Big Green Egg is not happening...not right now anyway. I just bought a new house and have a baby on the way. She'll never go for it, and I'd probably just lose it in the resulting divorce anyway.

I might still try the double barrel one. It's on sale at CTC for about $125 bucks. If I get a year or two out of it, I'll be fine with that. Plus, if it burns out/falls apart I can tell my wife, "You get what you pay for...I guess I'll have to spend more for something that lasts", and then look at Webers or maybe even the Egg.

Get it man, a nice easy smoke is pork ribs, find a butcher , and not a oh-la-la fancy one. One with cows and pigs hanging around in the back. Make friends with your new butcher I even.buy mine a Christmas gift. Hell of a lot cheaper than a grocery store...I know someone on here has been to dipietros in Cambridge, Anyways back to the ribs you can fit 3 racks on that smoker no problem find a recipie and light her up..they will take about six hours at 300. Be patient while learning your new craft it's part science part vodo magic . Always leave the chimney all the way open, And last but not least make shure you burn in your new smoker before you cook an food in it. I'm doing some brisket this weekend I will post up some pics for ya.

Get it man, a nice easy smoke is pork ribs, find a butcher , and not a oh-la-la fancy one. One with cows and pigs hanging around in the back. Make friends with your new butcher I even.buy mine a Christmas gift. Hell of a lot cheaper than a grocery store...I know someone on here has been to dipietros in Cambridge, Anyways back to the ribs you can fit 3 racks on that smoker no problem find a recipie and light her up..they will take about six hours at 300. Be patient while learning your new craft it's part science part vodo magic . Always leave the chimney all the way open, And last but not least make shure you burn in your new smoker before you cook an food in it. I'm doing some brisket this weekend I will post up some pics for ya.

heeh yes, we butchers love baked goods!

I like to keep my BBQ and my smoker separate. I tried smoking over charcoal but couldn't keep the heat consistent and for as long as I needed. As far as I'm concerned electric smokers are the way to go. If you choose this method you can make your own smoker at a very affordable price.