Fishing tackle storage questions

kickingfrog

Well the clan is on the move to a new house. The house is a similar size but the basement is finished so I have to be more judicious in my rod/tackle storage.

Two considerations other than in the house are:

The cold room, it is huge but I am hesitant to put the rods (and tackle) in there because the humidity isn't controlled.

The garage is insulated but not heated/cooled.

Thoughts on using either of these?

Augers and such I'm not worried about, but the cork handles, fishing reels, tackle bags and soft plastics are the main potential issues.

Not an issue. Mine is all stored in an unheated, un insulated shed for 17 years, hot and humid in summer and have never had an issue with anything. No worries, loosen off the drag on reels and store away, The only thing I would say is to keep it away from direct sunlight if there is a window and keep any fluids i.e. bait sprays from freezing. Make sure you haven't put anything away wet.

Rob... I leave all my rods in the hangar.. some in the boat.. some lying about. The only ones that have ever grown mould on the cork where the ones in the floor storage locker and I'd forgot to leave the access door cracked open for air flow. Garage will be just fine...

Edited by irishfield

Agreed too with the garage guys Rob. In the house is great if you have the space because during the off season you can sort tackle, clean reels, etc. without having to drag stuff in from outside. But that's really a non-issue come a sunny spring weekend.

Congrats on the move.