Simcoe Perching... Suggest me some baits! Please!

Headhunter

Well, the plan is to hit Lady Simcoe tomorrow for some perchin... I have not fished Simcoe for perch from a boat and was hoping to solicit some advice from the community re baits and or techniques.

I believe we are bring live bait, but truth be told, if I can get them to bite artificials, I would be more than pleased.

Any and all advice appreciated!

Thanks all and have a great weekend! Weather finally looks to be on the good side!

HH

I can't see why slab grabbers wouldn't work with a tip of bait on the end like a minnow head or maggot. The perch like during the ice season and you're still vertical jigging. Might be tougher with a strong drift but anchor down when you find them. Just off bottom, give it a small twitch or shake, wait for the hit and set immediately. The hook always sets same place top jaw. I kept using bigger and bigger grabbers as the season went on to keep the dinks off...not like that worked. Little buggers eat anything.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! Much appreciated.

We did get out yesterday (Saturday) from 7:00ish until 2:30. Sat out a bit of rain in Timmies, before we hit a Simcoe south shore launch.

After a short ride out to the "perch armada", we were quickly into fish. Most of the day was cast, fish on, release, re-cast and on and on. Our hottest bait was a spoon, perch coloured, tipped with 1/4 inch of worm. They actually seemed to like the worm better than the minnows and worms were much less "work", meaning, multiple fish per worm.

In total, the three of us brought home 30 fish... yes we were being quit picky as to how large we would keep... no one wanted to clean a mess of small perch.

It was a great day out on the water, with the fish biting noticeably better while the showers were on... thing slowed a little once the sun made an appearance.

We fished mostly between 6 and 9 ft of water and found, as suggested by Joseph earlier in this thread, that when we found stained water vs the gin clear stuff, we had better luck.

Thanks again to all who took the time to add to this thread... it was a blast.

And a special thanks to FnS for having us out on his boat and allowing us to squirt worm guts all over his carpet, with nary a frown or remark... we won't mention the Perch milt all over everything!!!!

HH

I'll give you a secret, don't tell anyone. Just a hint. Cut a Sabiki rig in half and put yellow Berkley wigglers on the hooks. Works wonders. Sabiki #4 or 6 with Hage skin. You have to doctor up the line to the sinker, add length. Tip: use the rig upside down.

Good Luck

Well, it will seem a little cheap now, but I have always use worms on Simcoe. A pickerel rig does well. or drop shotting with two hooks on the line.

Glad to hear you had a great day! I love that damn lake and can't wait to get back on it.

Jim

Well, it will seem a little cheap now, but I have always use worms on Simcoe. A pickerel rig does well. or drop shotting with two hooks on the line.

Glad to hear you had a great day! I love that damn lake and can't wait to get back on it.

Jim

I'll be in the narrows for 3 days starting tomorrow. Red Princecraft Holiday with a 50 Honda tiller, 4 guys in the boat. If your there stop by say hi.

You're more than welcome Joe, anytime. A great day on the water, good company and a nice feed of perch as well. I think I'll look into getting a roll of that plastic carpet protector that I've seen used at some of the trade shows in RV's and boats. Will make clean up after a day of fishing with you much easier. lol!!