Whitby, Newbie trying to start out. Need tips.

Canadian1995

hey i'm new to the site, and fishing too really.. i live in whitby and im trying to get into fishing but its kinda hard because im 17, have no job, and my parents are not into fishing. im looking for some tips on how i can just get out and go by myself, and where i could go. i am a complete newbie and have little experience.

Welcome. I knew everything when I was 17, and I've only gotten smarter since then. :lol:

yeah.. i wish i knew everything, but the last time i even threw a cast out in the water was 3 years ago.. and before that.. probly another 5 years, no one really taught me the ropes. but ive gotten to a point where im just going to walk in a certain direction until i step right on a fish.

Welcome. Hang around, get in on the conversations ,respectfully. Share your thoughts, and listen carefully to whats being said. There are some good members from your area, and if you show them that you are genuine, they will be more than happy to help you out.

Paul

this time of year, go door to door and do lawn maintenance for some quick cash, you'll get enough for an entry rod and reel combo, go out at night after a rain and pick some worms off your front lawn, and depending on what you want to fish for, i can maybe give you some insight

Welcome aboard, it warms my heart every time I see a youngster riding his or her bike with a rod strapped on to a back pack heading to or returning from a day tossing a line. Remember there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers and you won't find many stupid answers here, you picked a great site to launch your new fishing career. I bought my first rod and reel when I was 27 years old, and am left handed so I held the spinning rod upside down to fish. No one told me I could change the handle over until everyone got a good laugh.

Good luck and again welcome to the start of a new life.

As others have mentioned here, you will get some great advice from people. One tip I can offer is to understand the regulations, because there is one way to lose respect on this board fast, and that is to suggest you might be targeting a fish that is out of season, not to mention it could make you lighter in the pocket.

As far as equipment goes, look on the classifieds here or kijiji for someone selling some entry level gear you may be able to afford. I'm not really familiar with the Whitby area for fishing, but you will read of people catching fish near the power plant in pickering, or Ashbridges bay, and even down near humberwood park in the West end.

As you advance, there are clubs you can join that have like minded individuals who can help grow your experience, and continue to teach you new things.

Good luck.

Welcome aboard! Im from your area, but i dont really fish anywhere close to home. Closest place i go is port perry. As others have mentioned, there is a lot of ppl here that will help u out with any questions u may have. Easiest way to get answers you are looking for is to be specific on the questions. Great introduction, and dont be shy to ask any questions you may have. We are all still learning the art of fishing, so dont be intimidated by anybody here!

I'm not too far North of you, you may find me out and about from time to time... Find out of your mom or dad would be willing to take up the sport with you is something to really consider. The time you spend together for them and you isn't as bad as you might think it is. I know one younger member here (Christopher) who gets a ride to spots to fisn with members here from one of his folks. I've met his mother twice and both times she just sat back and relaxed while he and I fished. It might be something you too can try with your folks.

If we were to get out I'll even bring you a spinning combo to use.

But talk to your folks as you could be spending the same amount of time in front of a TV or doing WORSE than fishing... besides, they may like it too. The local Can. Tire can get them a fishing license too. You will need 1 when you turn 18 so you know...

As others have mentioned here, you will get some great advice from people. One tip I can offer is to understand the regulations, because there is one way to lose respect on this board fast, and that is to suggest you might be targeting a fish that is out of season, not to mention it could make you lighter in the pocket.

As far as equipment goes, look on the classifieds here or kijiji for someone selling some entry level gear you may be able to afford. I'm not really familiar with the Whitby area for fishing, but you will read of people catching fish near the power plant in pickering, or Ashbridges bay, and even down near humberwood park in the West end.

As you advance, there are clubs you can join that have like minded individuals who can help grow your experience, and continue to teach you new things.

Good luck.

yes ive looked over the regulations for hours, and i think im confident that i wont be stupid enough to do anything illegal. thanks for feedback

I'm not too far North of you, you may find me out and about from time to time... Find out of your mom or dad would be willing to take up the sport with you is something to really consider. The time you spend together for them and you isn't as bad as you might think it is. I know one younger member here (Christopher) who gets a ride to spots to fisn with members here from one of his folks. I've met his mother twice and both times she just sat back and relaxed while he and I fished. It might be something you too can try with your folks.

If we were to get out I'll even bring you a spinning combo to use.

But talk to your folks as you could be spending the same amount of time in front of a TV or doing WORSE than fishing... besides, they may like it too. The local Can. Tire can get them a fishing license too. You will need 1 when you turn 18 so you know...

yeah, my dad is experienced in fishing but he's always at work. and i could definately get my parents to drive me to a spot to drop me off. its the hours spent actually fishing that they cant afford. to be honest i dont even have a fishing rod.. i have a net and a filet knife, thats my gear as of now lol. i have no idea what a spinning combo is, but sounds useful. thanks for your support.

Go spend some time in Walmart or Can. Tire and look at the rods and reels and find something you feel comfortable holding. the spinning reels can be for a lefty or a righty, they are adjustable. the baitcasters, no can do.

yeah, my dad is experienced in fishing but he's always at work. and i could definately get my parents to drive me to a spot to drop me off. its the hours spent actually fishing that they cant afford. to be honest i dont even have a fishing rod.. i have a net and a filet knife, thats my gear as of now lol. i have no idea what a spinning combo is, but sounds useful. thanks for your support.

Tell you what...if you are around this weekend, get in touch with me via private message and I will give you a starter fishing rod and reel and some basic terminal tackle...and no....not a kids barbie setup!!! It's hard to know what's comfortable until you have one to start with. I am in Whitby as well.

Edited by ccmt

Tell you what...if you are around this weekend, get in touch with me via private message and I will give you a starter fishing rod and reel and some basic terminal tackle...and no....not a kids barbie setup!!! It's hard to know what's comfortable until you have one to start with. I am in Whitby as well.

Well there's an offer you can't refuse! Very nice Cliff!! :good: