Looking for an ice update T-Bay, Nakina, Armstrong area?

chris.brock

There's been a few Emails amongst our group regarding ice out up there. We've booked something for the week of June 8th (a little more than 6 weeks away) and I'm assuming it's still pretty winter-like up there.

any info. or opinions would be appreciated

Check with limyangler and old man, they are in the area.

My brother and a couple of others from the MTP and Toronto Fire have been driving to Thunder Bay and then flying 1 hour north east to a lake for 18 years, they go up the same time every year, 3rd week of May.

4 years back they had to bail re ice on the lake, 2nd week of June it was not an issue.

We moved our Nakina fly in from the 11th to the 18th because of the early spring. Personally I think it's a 60% chance that the ice will be out on that date

Surprised you're asking about the first week of June. You don't have anything to worry about!

We are going on the last week of June----I assume it'll be gone by then. Maybe the lakers will still be shallow and easier to catch.

We are going to O'Sullivan. Which lake are you folks going to?

Abamasagi

Basskicker said 3 feet of ice in Manitouwadge (pretty far south of Nakina) on April 18th

We got burned last year on the opening weekend, cold, snowing sideways, the water dropped into the low 40's and the fish totally shut-down,

I mean bundle up, go out and catch zero

maybe we're just a little gun shy

Abamasagi

Basskicker said 3 feet of ice in Manitouwadge (pretty far south of Nakina) on April 18th

We got burned last year on the opening weekend, cold, snowing sideways, the water dropped into the low 40's and the fish totally shut-down,

I mean bundle up, go out and catch zero

maybe we're just a little gun shy

Things have not changed much, since the 18th we got 50+cm of snow (crazy).....but things are about to change QUICKLY around here, its looks like spring is finally coming.....double digit temperatures and some rain. The snow will leave quickly but people still need extensions on their augers. I'm about 2.5-3 hours south of Nakina. You'll be fine for the 1st week of June, my buddy is flying in from Vancouver on May 29 for our annual 10 day trip.

Talked with a buddy in Hearst tonight and he says the big snow has pretty well all melted away. Nakina highs and lows for the next 7 days are all in the plus.. even up to 15C. It's a beginning... and after that, the three weeks of May before walleye opener will take care of the rest. Surely hope. lol.

Aaaah, that great 'walleye factory" Which lake did you fish last year? We were swimming in Marshall on the first week of June last year. .

Washi on the Albany River

you were swimming, we were blasting the woodstove and wishing we had brought our floater suits

in the mornings, everyone would pretend they were still sleeping so they didn't have to leave their warm sleeping bag and start the fire in the cabin

a first for us, we flew beer out! too cold to drink'em

I know that wasn't related to ice-out, the ice was long gone, it was just a brutal week for weather

We are still locked up with ice up here in Thunder Bay and surrounding areas, the rivers to Lake Superior are just opening up wide enough to start fishing them, probably a week late. But it won't be long now before the ice is gone with high temps reaching 16C and lows going down to 0C on occasion now. Last week they were still -7/8C overnight.

First I'd like to say hello this is my first post and I didn't see an introduction area so I hope this is ok here!

It snowed here in Thunder Bay last night & it's May3/2013 this is pretty unusual to say the least..

The Armstrong Area has even more snow than here and there is still well over 3ft of ice on the lakes up there.

June 8 sounds ok to me but who knows what it's going to be like on the bigger water there may be residual ice on lakes like Caribou Lake, Lake Nipigon etc..

• 2 weeks later...