Casting Cranks for Walleye

Radnine

Rapala Husky Jerks work wonders in Northern Ontario, any size depending on the size of fish you are targeting, I usually use medium, medium heavy baitcasting rods with anywhere between 15-30 lb braid depending on the size I'm targeting.

I still cast the original shad raps the most. They have newer ones with rattles that are heavier but I haven't used them that much. The shad raps are the toughest crankbait to cast with a baitcaster. I usually use 1 of three reels: abu revo, Shimano curado and a Quantum reel with a flipin' switch. The Quantum is a reel I use for trolling and is not expensive, or as smoth as the others, but sometimes when I decide to sit on a spot and don't have a lot of rods in the boat it works (I just need to watch for the wind a little more :whistling: ). The rods are crankbait rated rods from St. Croix, shimano and a bps carbon-lite. 6'6" to 7'6'.

With the other standard walleye crankbaits I find that they are heavy enough that I don't have to be as careful with the set-up.

I use my Dobyns 705 glass with 12lb fluoro. Surprisingly i catch alot of walleye off of lipless cranks.

Yes I like using lipless cranks as well along weedbeds and shoals at night, hook into some nice eyes around those just before total darkness.

I did in the past, most of the rods I used for casting crankbaits were 7 foot medium action fast tip, I do have and have used some slow action rods also though.

The water I fished dictated the line, on the main waters of Lake Erie there really wasn't a need for more than 10# test line, not many snags unless you got a rock on the bottom.

In waters with weeds and more junk 12 -14 # test and original Stren was always my favorite.

just curious why you prefer the baitcaster, if it sounds like you are throwing lighter cranks?

I use whatever i have rigged up at the time, but I have a medium action 6'8" spinning rod with a light tip, pretty sure it's meant to be a drop shot rod but works well to not rip hooks....light braid and mono leader for throwing lightweight jerkbaits in spring, very confident I can outcast any of my baitcasters with that combo

I saw rapala has some new ultra light crankbaits, they look promising for spring walleyes

x-raps and shads usually throw them with a mojo bass crankbait rod and chronarch and 12lb mono line lilke berkley big game.

also have lots of action with flicker shads, various lipless cranks, for smaller lightweight body baits a med st croix avid ipc and 50 series shimano core with 30 lb briaid and leader combo has excellant range and sensitivity, for spinning have a couple compre's and carbo max in a softer action with symetre reels that work well for cranks with braid

just curious why you prefer the baitcaster, if it sounds like you are throwing lighter cranks?

I use whatever i have rigged up at the time, but I have a medium action 6'8" spinning rod with a light tip, pretty sure it's meant to be a drop shot rod but works well to not rip hooks....light braid and mono leader for throwing lightweight jerkbaits in spring, very confident I can outcast any of my baitcasters with that combo

I saw rapala has some new ultra light crankbaits, they look promising for spring walleyes

I have just purchased my first bait casting combo (7' MH/F Okuma Citrix, Okuma Komodo reel) and in the process of learning to use it (in the back yard) I have found that I love one handed throwing!! And I am looking for a reason to buy another set up.

I am sure that I can use my current set up effectively, but am wondering if a lighter rod might be in order for walleye cranking.

Thanks for asking.

Jim

I like a MH F spinning rod with 10 lb braid for most of my bass/ walleye jerk baiting. Also nice for most cranks under 1/2 oz. Heavier cranks, 15 to 30 braid on a MH moderately fast BC setup. If you want casting distance with smaller baits you will be dissapointed at the results compared to using a spinning setup. Unless you are willing to fork out $300 or more on your BC reel, plan to use them to fish heavier baits on heavier line.

Big question for me is... What are you planning on throwing?

If you plan on using shallow diving cranks that aren't very big I'd stick with a medium action spinning rod....

If your gunna throw 4-6 inch cranks and/or deep divers... Then I'd say your Citrix would do the job...

I have an ancient Shimano Chronarch CH200 permanently mounted on an equally ancient Compre 7-foot one-piece that's rated for 8 to 15 pound line, and it's just about ideal for throwing light cranks (and more often, topwaters). I can fire a lightweight lure (often a small Pop-R or Tiny Torpedo) for miles with this rig, and with better accuracy than I get from a spinning outfit. The rod has a progressive action, which is key ... a lot of current baitcasting rods are just too stiff, and you can't get them to load up properly with a lightweight lure. It kills both accuracy and distance.

The reel is also key to this setup, and it took me years to get this one worn in just right. But that's the thing, as long as you do the maintenance on them and give them an annual cleaning, really good quality casting reels usually get better as they wear in.

That said, this is a special purpose outfit I have. A spinning rig is definitely more versatile.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie