Where to buy LED bulb for under $8?

Entropy

Where do I buy a couple of LED light bulbs for $8 or less.

In my house we leave a table lamp on in the living room and one in the rec room all night for the kids to be able to navigate the house if and when they wake throughout the night. I would to put LED bulbs in them, but am only willing to spend $8 or less.

Where do I go?

Thanks,

Entropy

Google works really well for this. :whistling::D Is this what you are looking for? Doubt you'll find anything cheap on the northside of the border.

http://www.tmart.com/Ball-Bulbs-231grid/

remember you get what you pay for. I deal with many LED bulbs and have seen my fair share of "cheap" aka affordable LED bulbs. Many of them will not last the 30,000 hours they are rated for. I have imported enough samples to fill half my warehouse and believe me, manufacturers that want you to place a big order their CRAPmanship is pretty half a$$.

If you have any questions on LED's please feel free to send me a PM. I can always help you out.

Nick

remember you get what you pay for. I deal with many LED bulbs and have seen my fair share of "cheap" aka affordable LED bulbs. Many of them will not last the 30,000 hours they are rated for. I have imported enough samples to fill half my warehouse and believe me, manufacturers that want you to place a big order their CRAPmanship is pretty half ass.

If you have any questions on LED's please feel free to send me a PM. I can always help you out.

Nick

That is certainly a better reply than mine. :good:

just go with a spiral cheap and low consumption! For the price you think you are going to get an led $8 or less, will not happen! I make my living with energy efficient retrofits etc. You are going to have to spend at least $15-$20 for something half descent (cree chip LED)

Alsoquick side note the lifespan rating for leds isnt to average point of failure, it is a rating till the lamp hits 70% of the original lumens output!

A couple years ago I bought an LED Nightlight Outlet at Lowes. They were on sale (8.99 I think) and replaced three of my standard outlets so that they would softly light up a path to the bathroom for the kids. Worked like charm. They have a photos switch built in and turn on at night.

muddler

Google works really well for this. :whistling::D Is this what you are looking for? Doubt you'll find anything cheap on the northside of the border.

Great site, but looking for a store I can go into. The old fashion way.

Both of the lights in mind are currently fitted with either an 9w or 13w CFL.

Mater of fact every bulb in my house, garage and 15 outdoor bulbs are all CFLs. I use the normal 'indoor' CFLs outdoors all year, in appropriate fixtures.

I can save 5 w x 10 hours a night, x 365 days = 18000 w/hrs = 18 kw/hrs x about 20 cents per kw/hr (all fees, taxes, etc factored into your hydro bill) = $3.60 savings a year per bulb. At that rate a bulb would pay for itself in 2 years if I pay $7.20 for it, and the rest of the years is money in my pocket. That is assuming the bulb lasts that long. Hey if I end up saving 10 w, it will pay for itself in one year.

I am finding that a lot of my CFL's need to be replaced more often than I though. My general rule for CFL's is to pay no more than $3.00 a bulb.

Entropy

Plug in two or three hallway nightlights and they'll see just fine (for less money!)

We have 3 or 4 but they are not bright enought for my boy. His bedroom is in the basement and ours and our daughter's is on the main floor, he needs more light.

I paid $5 per nightlight. 0.25 w LED. The kids pull them out a few times, drop on the floor and the plastic difuser cracks and comes off. lol

This wouldn't be a big deal but with bills anywhere from $160 to $260, and hydro rates going up another 10% may first, I'd like to try to help myself.

Edited by Entropy

Thought I'd help.. our 3 had nothing but nightlights to get to the can in the night.. both daughter and son in dark basement most of their early years and had to go upstairs to go.

...oh.. and mine would only pull them out once and break them ....

Edited by irishfield

I never had or needed a night light when I was a kid. I guess that they all need them now for some reason. When I got creative, a jar of fireflies did the trick. Pretty cheap on the power bill too.

Why the 8 dollar cap? are you averaging savings from hydro use to the cost of the bulb to justify not spending more then $8?

<-- I'm Dutch... meaning I watch my nickels.. but wow.

G

I thought I heard something about LED bulb for $8 on the radio the other day. Now I'm hung up on that price, and heck I'm not going to pay $26 for a flip'n light bulb. Not even $13. At 10 hours of use per day and a lifespan of 20 000 hrs that puts it at 5 years and it is garbage. If it is only going to save $3.60 a year over my current CFL bulbs it had better cost significantly less than ...... the break even point ($3.60 x 5years = $18).

Don't get the wrong ideal, but I'd rather spend my money on stuff I want to rather than the things that are 'mundane' like ..... light.

I got one from Walmat today for $8. It is 110 lumen, 2 W, cool white.

What I want is: 3W, 800 lumen, warm white and for $8 or less. This does not exist at Walmart. They have one that is 9.5w at 800 lumen, for too much money, but at that wattage I'd be better to stick to my CFLs.

Any insight?

Entropy

P.S. I think my wood stove gives off almost as much light as this 110 lumen bulb. lol