have we gone paperless?

waterwolf

I maybe out of the loop, but has the ministry gone paperless on the fishing /hunting regulations. I've been to BPS and CanTire and they don't seem to know. Even sevice ontario doesn't know. Govt sites are a pain in the rear end to deal with so I hope they are just slow this year. Any insite?

last time i heard about this, popular opinion/heresay was they were only printing a certain number, after those were distributed you have to get them online

they'll probably start charing 9.99 for hardcopy regs eventually, wouldn't surprise me with the mnr budget

I've been told every where I've gone that there was limited print copies available and no more would be shipped beyond the initial shipment sent to each dealer - and that they went fast! I've asked at not less than 10 different sources for a copy and got the same response. Guess if you don't have a computer and the web you can't see the regs - and that in my mind is not a great option - kinda goes in the "ungood" file for me! I'm not going to post the rest of what I'm thinking beyond one word -excuses! And by that I don't mean the governments excuse for not printing more!

Michael

I've been told every where I've gone that there was limited print copies available and no more would be shipped beyond the initial shipment sent to each dealer - and that they went fast! I've asked at not less than 10 different sources for a copy and got the same response. Guess if you don't have a computer and the web you can't see the regs - and that in my mind is not a great option - kinda goes in the "ungood" file for me! I'm not going to post the rest of what I'm thinking beyond one word -excuses! And by that I don't mean the governments excuse for not printing more!

Michael

Exactly what I've heard at my tackle/bait retailers. They get a box or two, run out, and that's it! It sucks for those who don't have the internet, but I bet those books were $$$$$ to print. I would go through 2 or 3 a year sometimes... kind of a waste I suppose.

Funny thing about this is that they started taking advertising dollars in to produce this a few years back, so it isn`t just out of our pocket to produce this thing. From what I remember, there were plenty of ads last time I looked at one.

Although it's "not right" for those that don't have internet capability, paper does cost. I'm betting that most of us fish particular areas and don't need 3/4 of the booklet at best. Most of the time I check on the on line version along with any updates, take a few notes if there are slot sizes or something particular to pay attention to.

Funny thing about this is that they started taking advertising dollars in to produce this a few years back, so it isn`t just out of our pocket to produce this thing. From what I remember, there were plenty of ads last time I looked at one.

have not been able to obtain a paper copy since Jan 1st. I have always kept a hard copy in my vehicle.

As to the ads, there were 22 bright flashy commercial ads in the 2012 regs. That represents a lot of ad dollars, especially when a number were full page. Also, on every other page was an ad for some govt agency , program, infoad, etc... , adding pages and cost to the production of the Regs.

The truth is the ministry is only giving every retailer a single box of 50 copies of the regulations. Back in January we received a box of the new 2013 Fishing regs. We put them out front they went in a week and we kept a copy for the store. The year prior we had hundred's of reg's we gave out.

This is something new they are doing and it seems it's a "save the paper" deal. Good to hear Hunting reg's are online, should see our box in the coming weeks then. We were told to tell the customers to go online for the reg's this year and print out the zone/zones your fishing :whistling: Jeeze does the angler & hunter community get shafted these days

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

The truth is the ministry is only giving every retailer a single box of 50 copies of the regulations. Back in January we received a box of the new 2013 Fishing regs. We put them out front they went in a week and we kept a copy for the store. The year prior we had hundred's of reg's we gave out.

This is something new they are doing and it seems it's a "save the paper" deal. Good to hear Hunting reg's are online, should see our box in the coming weeks then. We were told to tell the customers to go online for the reg's this year and print out the zone/zones your fishing :whistling: Jeeze does the angler & hunter community get shafted these days

Just Anglers and Hunters? I haven't been able to walk right for years with the amount of shafting Gummyment pounds out!!!

Jeez, I work for a paper company and see a 4 to 6% decline every year in the commercial print market, it is a shame to see the government now participating in this arena. I predict that eventually there will be a leveling out between electronic media and good old fashioned print. Remember everyone that it is a 100% renewable resource. All North American Paper manufactures are very good forest stewards and replace more than they take.

What is shameful in my industry is that a large portion of the manufacturing is now done in China with fibers supplied by North America. The Chinese mills are all subsidized by the government and truly not profitable. Walmart has done the same thing to the retail manufacturing sector in North America over the last 15 years. If you remember when they first came to Canada, the motto was made in the USA and made in Canada to a lesser extent. These ads quietly disappeared over time. Walmart is now one of the biggest importers of Chinese products into North America, so next time you need something, remember this. It is time that we all stand up and say that we want to buy products made in North America (shop NAFTA). i am sure that many members here have lost jobs to offshore manufacturing.