Opinion on a New Rod

bman32

I'm looking at investing in a new rod for musky fishing up in the Kawarthas. From what i gathered a 8'6 Extra Heavy, Moderate Fast to Fast rod is somthing i should be looking for? I primarily want to throw spinnerbaits, like Mepps Musky Killers, and some hardbaits. I'm a pretty tall guy, 6ft+ so rod length isnt really a concern. I'm not really into trolling around, mostly throwing lures.

Any prefered brand?

I'm looking at investing in a new rod for musky fishing up in the Kawarthas. From what i gathered a 8'6 Extra Heavy, Moderate Fast to Fast rod is somthing i should be looking for? I primarily want to throw spinnerbaits, like Mepps Musky Killers, and some hardbaits. I'm a pretty tall guy, 6ft+ so rod length isnt really a concern. I'm not really into trolling around, mostly throwing lures.

Any prefered brand?

Throwing lighter size musky baits like you would be throwing, i would scale to a hvy action rod, with some slight tip flex, your rod length based on your height would be fine, in fact for those baits like musky killers, and also bomber long a mags etc, i use a flippin stick with a low profile bass reel spooled with 65lb pp, casts a mile and works great for those baits, and smaller creatures etc. if you want a musky rod the Tackle Industry ones are nice, without the hefty over rated price of a St. Croix lengent tournament, the cork on the TI is thicker then other brands which might benefit you if you have big mitts

and you can buy 2 TI's for the price of a legend, and still have enough money left to spool both outfits, and TI's are very light as well

Thanks for all the replies and the welcome. St. Croix seems very popular and I will definitely look into the tackle industries,I have a 7'6 mh xf crucial flipping stick, I wasn't too sure if that would be the wrong rod for a musky, considering its more of a bass rod, and if a good sized musky would over power it

Just got a ti xh rod, they do ship to canada, but it is crazyyy expensive, almost as much as the rod, I got it shipped to cbi shipping in the falls for 5 bucks, they are on special now for 135$, I haven't used The TI rod yet, but I have fish with buddys st croix legend and the st croi is a defintely nicer, but definetly more cash....other rod I use is the new shimano compre im9 xh, the TI rod seems to have a nicer feel, but like i said, not water tested yet!

I'd make it a Compre and get a Med Heavy, that'll be perfect for spinnerbaits.

i would also agree that a med/heavy would be fine for a smaller baits that you have mentioned. if you do decide to troll, this rod would also be ok for smaller baits at slower speeds.

now throw a 2-3 ounce spinnerbait and troll it at 4-5 mph and your arms may get tired pretty quickly.

if your plan is to stick within the kawartha's and cast mostly i would suggest an 8'6 med/heavy or heavy. the compre's are a bit heavy and i dont like the 2 piece rods the way the new ones are.

i would suggest a st croix mojo musky or premier if your on a budget. if cost isnt an issue go with a st croix legend! the trigger grip alone is worth the price.

good luck

I don't think they do any longer. They r not on site. I sent him an email a while back asking but did not get a reply.

Sorry if we missed it Landry. I'll look into that now.

Okuma EVx is a good quality rod for the money. The New Daiwa DMX Musky rods are sharp too in that price point.