Duct cleaner services -COMPLETELY NON FISHING!!!!

Headhunter

Hey folks,

Hoping to solicit some info from those in the know. The "Warden" has been all over me lately wanting me to get our duct work cleaned. I know that it has not been done, since I bought the house, 6 years ago.

I read an article in the Toronto Star yesterday, that got me wondering if this effort is a waste of time or not. They indicated only those who are having "issues" should consider getting the work done.

Can anyone provide me with first hand experience, the + and - as well as an idea what costs are fair for this work.

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

HH

Watched a good Market Place or similar show on these "duct cleaners" a month or so ago. Only one guy that they hidden camera'd did it correctly. The rest just "pretended" to clean the duct work out.

In reality... if it's in the cold air return, which goes thru your filter before heating, who really cares. Outlets anything that is going to move would have been blown out into the air long ago.

I had mine cleaned before my son was born, because there where mice running around in our ducts. The "Air Ductor" out of Barrie did mine. They showed me the before and after results in a few of the ducts. Amazing how well they cleaned up. I am very mechanically minded. And I watched these guys like hawks. The did an amazing job. 16 year old house. The guy kept going on an on about how his equipment is specially designed to clean ducts. Rather then just banging the ducts around, and blowing the dust around. His tools had a rotary brush )a few of different sizes) that almost polish the inside of the ducts. And a MASSIVE vacuum in the back of a box truck in my driveway sucking all of the dust and dirt out. I guess some people out there do a very poor job. Not this guy.. Before: p_00907_zpsdd8552c1.jpg After: p_00908_zps683868bf.jpg This is my return duct at my house. The smaller round ducts where even cleaner..

$300 for a 2200 sq ft house cash...

Edited by N.A.W

Had mine done by Power Vac (Cambridge) Was very happy with their service and attention to detail. He pulled out sections of the duct to show me the debris and filth that had collected. And that the guys who had done it before we bought the house clearly missed. He was there a few hrs and made sure all 3 floors were cleaned properly. I dont know what they pulled out of there, but air flow to the upper levels was noticeably improved. Not sure how often they say this kind of service should be done, but i would def use these guys again. They also followed up with a phone call to make sure i was satisfied.

30+ year old house.Before ducts where cleaned I had to open all vents up stairs to get heat.Now I have one open.In summer I have 2 vent up stairs 1 on main and keeps house nice and cool.

The air flow increased by 85%. It's no longer freezing in the basement in summer and too hot in winter.

I've cleaned my own a couple of times. I just take it all apart, haul it out to the backyard, hose it out until it's clean enough to eat off of, then put it all back up again. Nothing to it.

Thanks to all who chimed in... so, the verdict among the members here is that it's worth it? Anyone got an idea on what kind of pricing is attached to this service? Anyone recommend a company that "does it right"?

Thanks again all!

Dan, if I did that, it would not be a pretty sight!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Dan, if I did that, it would not be a pretty sight!

HH

Oh so true.... :rofl2:

Let alone all the drywall that would have to come down to access the ducts. I'm sure the wife and kids would be very impressed if you tried to do it Joe. I'll even come over and lend a hand....when the misses is not home of course. :ninja::D

I had mine cleaned before my son was born, because there where mice running around in our ducts. The "Air Ductor" out of Barrie did mine. They showed me the before and after results in a few of the ducts. Amazing how well they cleaned up. I am very mechanically minded. And I watched these guys like hawks. The did an amazing job. 16 year old house. The guy kept going on an on about how his equipment is specially designed to clean ducts. Rather then just banging the ducts around, and blowing the dust around. His tools had a rotary brush )a few of different sizes) that almost polish the inside of the ducts. And a MASSIVE vacuum in the back of a box truck in my driveway sucking all of the dust and dirt out. I guess some people out there do a very poor job. Not this guy.. Before: p_00907_zpsdd8552c1.jpg After: p_00908_zps683868bf.jpg This is my return duct at my house. The smaller round ducts where even cleaner..

$300 for a 2200 sq ft house cash...

Wow that's pretty impressive

Watched a good Market Place or similar show on these "duct cleaners" a month or so ago. Only one guy that they hidden camera'd did it correctly. The rest just "pretended" to clean the duct work out.

I watched the same episode and I still get those stupid phone calls after telling them I've cleaned my duct and not to call again.

If you choose do it. Make sure you watch them like a hawk and if you need to ask questions then do so. Before and after pictures would be great too, although not every company uses cameras.

I would say it's totally worth it. The first thing I've noticed was the air flow was a lot better. I wouldn't do it every year if you've changed your house filter every 3-4 months. I would suggest to do it then keep up with changing your filters and it should be good for a long time.

Edited by TrippyJai

Watched the Marketplace episode as well.

Here is the link:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2013/01/when-the-repairman-knocks-3.html.

Short summary - you get what you pay for. If they say it will cost you $100, then you probably get a bad job.

I think this is the association mentioned in the episode:

http://www.nadca.com/

May be worthwhile to check to see if whomever you are hiring is a member.

Jon