Help! Mercury vs. Suzuki outboard

Rizzo

I believe the newer Suzuki, Johnson, Evinrude are basically all the same. They are all built by Bombardier. My buddy has a 140 Johnson 4 stroke and it is so quiet the only way I can tell it is running is the water pump. No issues in 5 years. I read some where that the smaller Mercs are now being built in China. I will be ditching my merc for a bombardier made motor on my next rig. Dundas marine at Clappison's Corners also services them. :D

Johnson is no more.

Evinrude E-TEC 2-stroke and Evinrude Portable 4-strokes (3.5-15 hp made by Tohatsu)

Just about to buy a new boat...and then got the option of Mercury 75 4 stroke or Suzuki 70 4 stroke. Any feedback greatly appreciated!

My opinion is to go with a company that has more dealers that will service the brand of outboard after the sale. The more dealers that service an outboard the quicker you will be back on the water. Plus mechanics will call each other from dealer to dealer to help out with issues. I've seen first hands, when our mechanics are stumped they will call Mercury direct for troubleshooting ideas. Great network!

My opinion is to go with a company that has more dealers that will service the brand of outboard after the sale. The more dealers that service an outboard the quicker you will be back on the water. Plus mechanics will call each other from dealer to dealer to help out with issues. I've seen first hands, when our mechanics are stumped they will call Mercury direct for troubleshooting ideas. Great network!

I think the goal should be to buy an outboard that will keep you running, and on the water, not how close the dealership to service you quick and get you back on the water.

It was a long time ago, and things have likely changed, but I worked at a marina in the late 80's and the mercs were always in for repairs, the OMC stuff was always out on the lake

While window shopping at the cottage show today, a princecraft dealer said merc has bought alot of the boat manufacturers, that's why alot of boats come with mercs, princecraft included, I don't know if this is true, I hope not

since my 1981 enticer, I buy yamaha when I can (right now, 2 outboards, 2 older sleds and a scooter, all yami)

I would go for the Mercury ....I had a 55 Suzuki on my first boat although it served me well I was not impressed with service.

My first summer with the boat I ripped up the prop and had to replace the prop shaft it took 3 weeks to get the part back order from Japan.

My dealer dropped them a few yrs ago he says most parts were not stocked in North America.He got fed up and decided

to stick with Honda,Yamaha and Mercury.

was talking to him at the boat show it seems its the same old story always a hassle to get parts in .They are often back order.

Now I know Suzuki makes an excellent product but if you ding the motor its going to be a long wait.

May as well get the Mercury !!!

While window shopping at the cottage show today, a princecraft dealer said merc has bought alot of the boat manufacturers, that's why alot of boats come with mercs, princecraft included, I don't know if this is true, I hope not

Unfortunate answer to this is yes, it is true.

I know a dealer who carried Lowe, they had to pick up Merc in order to continue to sell Lowe boats when they were bought out. He does not and did not want to represent Merc so therefore they are no longer a Lowe dealer.

Your options are Mercury or Suzuki? Choose the one with the most readily available parts and repair shops. Then also consider resale value and ease of selling it down the road. Do some research on the value of each at 5 to 10 years of age right now and you will get an idea as to which is the better buy.

Who is it that says they're " #1 on the water."

A merc will be cheaper to fix and get parts for down the road. Like say if you smack up the lower unit, chew up the prop etc... Merc parts are a dime a dozen, Yamaha(which I own and love btw) and even more so Suzuki and Honda, the parts are harder to come by.

Just do a search for used lower units and props for each motor, and call the dealer and ask how much plugs, wires, coils and a water pump kit are. Those are the most common repair items on an outboard.

Edited by jedimaster

"I say if you want a motor that has ready available parts and service go mercury ,you will need them....if you want a reliable outboard and want to spend your time on the water rather the repair shop go yama,suzuki or honda."

direct quote from a good friend of mine who has been marine mech. for nearly 30 years....mercury mech. at that...he owns a yamaha......

Edited by bowslayer

Did carry Alumacraft. They are getting out of them (can't remember why Clarence said).

Jim

Your right. I talked to Clarence the other day and he said Alumacraft said they had to be a Alumacraft dealer only. Bay City sells Lund boats also, so good by Alumacraft. Princecraft junk also said they had to be sold with a Merc, and Bay City dropped them. I think Bay City may go to G3. I know Rizzo said Merc or Suzuki, but Bay City said when they sell a Yamaha, they never see a customer come back. I own 2 Honda's and can't complain. My next motor ? I don't know what to do now that Bay City won't be selling Alumacraft, I hate to think I may have to go with the over rated Lund. Alumacraft has the best spec's on the market, except if your going to life long boats like Stanley or Harborcraft Kingfisher, but it's going to be double price.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the goal should be to buy an outboard that will keep you running, and on the water, not how close the dealership to service you quick and get you back on the water.

It was a long time ago, and things have likely changed, but I worked at a marina in the late 80's and the mercs were always in for repairs, the OMC stuff was always out on the lake

since my 1981 enticer, I buy yamaha when I can (right now, 2 outboards, 2 older sleds and a scooter, all yami)

Ya... times change and technology change ain't really a bad manufacture out there if you stick with quality names :)