ONAPING LAKE - I MUST KNOW!!!!!

Cosmos

I am just looking for some advice on lake Onaping in the greater Sudbury district. I`ve heard that it has excellent fishing, especially the North End. However I was not able to find any boat launches in the north end of the lake.

Can anyone recommend a launch + parking site closer to the North side? My boat is fairly light (14ft Aluminum), so if there is no launch- perhaps a road leading to the water with a gently sloping shoreline somewhere in the North End, we could probably remove the boat manually, but then of course we’ll need a place to park.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Spent a week on Onaping last year, Walleyejigger is right that the launches are on the south end of the lake. It is a very long lake so will take a long time to boat out to the north end. Lots of islands and bays so it is easy to get lost if you are not familiar with the lake, spent most of my time on the south end because I had small kids with me. Takes some work to locate the fish on the south end, beautiful area though.

Spent a week on Onaping last year, Walleyejigger is right that the launches are on the south end of the lake. It is a very long lake so will take a long time to boat out to the north end. Lots of islands and bays so it is easy to get lost if you are not familiar with the lake, spent most of my time on the south end because I had small kids with me. Takes some work to locate the fish on the south end, beautiful area though.

Do you might to let us know - how was fishing?

Tough on the South end,spent most of the time trying to keep the kids busy. We got into a lot of bass off of any points entering the narrow channels but nothing of major size. The weather was very cool with a lot of rain, nobody reported catching anything of significant size. It is a real big lake so locating the fish can take some time, but I believe it can have some potential for good sized fish. I imagine the North end would be pretty good as it doesn't receive nearly as much pressure but that will have to wait for another trip. You are looking at about a 30 to 35 mile run to the North end around islands and channels so it would be very time consuming to get there.

• 4 months later...

I'm heading to Onaping later this week to stay at the 25 mile outpost camp for a week.

Can anybody comment on the recent water level and fishing conditions?

We've never been but are looking forward to some remote fishing.

Thanks,

c2s

I'm heading to Onaping later this week to stay at the 25 mile outpost camp for a week.

Can anybody comment on the recent water level and fishing conditions?

We've never been but are looking forward to some remote fishing.

Thanks,

c2s

Was by Onaping the week before last, water seemed to going thru the river and falls pretty good. Where we were, closer to Chapleau, the water was higher than normal for this time of year, so I imagine it's the same for most areas up there.