Last ice jumbos!

steverowbotham

Well I decided to call it quits until the softwater after my last day of laker fishing, but this hard stuff didnt seem to be going anywhere, so I had to make one last trip out. The prospect of a perch fry was enticing, so a couple buddies and I headed out to a late season perch spot and made the march out. We're targetting sand/rock transitions getting closer to their spawning bays now. We set up along the ridge, I was the shallowest at 19 feet and they set up in 23 and 32 feet. I started off with a small jigging rap to look for some aggressive fish, and though the showed interest, they wouldnt commit to it. Switched to a pan slammer and knocked off a couple of decent dinner fish, but still wasnt getting the reactions I was looking for. When you're targetting these jumbo perch, they dont school in the same way that the little guys do. A lot of them are solitary or swim in small groups of 2-4 fish. A lot of moving is neccessary for success, or you can opt to be patient and wait for them. We moved around a bunch until we found a more consistent area in 18 feet. There was still a lot of blank screen but when the fish came through, they were the right ones. With the high sun and picky fish, I dropped down to 2lbs fluoro and a pan slammer on a 1/16 oz jighead. They needed enticing, but I managed to ice a good number of solid fish and I should be good for a couple meals while I wait for some open water crappie!!

644562_10151598502123092_2038441035_n.jp

579819_10151598502118092_1717241328_n.jp