Salmon River Steelhead

solopaddler

Seven friends, myself included, travelled to the Salmon River on Lake Ontario's south shore last week for a few days of steelheading. It was a gathering of sorts and a meeting of very old friends and a couple of new ones.

Under normal circumstances I'm a solitary creature when it comes to steelheading so this was a bit different and it made for a ton of fun.

Shockingly when we arrived in Pulaski in the wee hours of the morning last Friday we were greeted with a full fledged snow storm. The lake effect snow hitting that little corner of the world was remarkable. It tapered off as we began to fish, but a good 8" fell adding to the already substantial base.

Spring is here? Not in Pulaski it isn't.

Rather than a long drawn out synopsis I'll let the photos do the talking this time.

IMG_7067.jpg

IMG_7084.jpg

IMG_7073.jpg

IMG_7096.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg

IMG_7101.jpg

IMG_7111.jpg

IMG_7115.jpg

IMG_7127.jpg

IMG_7130.jpg

IMG_7141.jpg

IMG_7146.jpg

IMG_7149.jpg

sr2013009.jpg

2013-02-2018_09_15.jpg

2013-02-2016_18_38.jpg

2013-02-2014_51_14.jpg

2013-02-2013_53_03-2.jpg

2013-02-2013_09_18.jpg

2013-02-2013_06_07.jpg

2013-02-2012_56_01.jpg

2013-02-2012_57_44.jpg

2013-02-2010_23_18.jpg

2013-02-1913_54_15.jpg

2013-02-1913_52_01.jpg

2013-02-1910_36_28.jpg

sr2013021.jpg

SalmonRiverMarch2013028.jpg

SalmonRiverMarch2013020.jpg

SalmonRiverMarch2013014.jpg

SalmonRiverMarch2013002.jpg

SalmonRiverMarch2013034.jpg

SalmonRiverMarch2013033.jpg

And finally Billy. He was thoroughly enamored with the girl in the Fat Nancy's ad, and curled up sound asleep with her next to him.

(couldn't resist LOL!)

SalmonRiverMarch2013035.jpg

Beautiful river, beautiful fish, and a great group of friends.

Can't wait to do it again!

Cheers

Pictues tell the story well...i have fished two " Salmon Rivers" so far but that one doesnt look like either of them....sometimes fishing in a crowd isnt so bad...looks like everyone has a good time...thanks for sharing the adventure

American beer does not agree with me..

HAHAHA! Yep.

No fingers dunked in warm water for Bill? :ph34r:

Wish I would have thought of that!

lots of DeMarco love going on there...I'm jealous, I want one..lol

There should be. Adam's a friend, he was part of the crew on this trip.

Thanks for a great trip, Mike. It was the most fun "near-frostbite" I've had in years! I think I lost 10 lbs trudging through those kilometers of snow. Thank goodness the American micro breweries turn out a better product. I got to really put the boots to my "après pêche" thirst - and no hangover! (haha billyyyyy!)

p.-

Was a fine weekend to say the least. Paul, Mike Z, Adam, Chess, Bill and Mike B, Thank you. Grateful to have been a part of it. Too classic MIke, you and Bill and that fresh pod of chromers.Glad to be able to say my camera survived the swim !

Looking forward to the next time , Oliver

Thanks for a great trip, Mike. It was the most fun "near-frostbite" I've had in years! I think I lost 10 lbs trudging through those kilometers of snow. Thank goodness the American micro breweries turn out a better product. I got to really put the boots to my "après pêche" thirst - and no hangover! (haha billyyyyy!)

p.-

Was a fine weekend to say the least. Paul, Mike Z, Adam, Chess, Bill and Mike B, Thank you. Grateful to have been a part of it. Too classic MIke, you and Bill and that fresh pod of chromers.Glad to be able to say my camera survived the swim !

Looking forward to the next time , Oliver

I knew Paul was a member here, but I had know idea you were Oliver!

For the benefit of those who don't know, these two guys are primarily responsible for the fine photos displayed in this post and are just all around nice guys.

You're both good men. 'Till next time gentlemen!

Cheers

Nice fish boys! End of March in Pulaski though ?? The main run from Feb has already pushed through the system to the hatchery.. Mid april once those fish get released is when you wanna be on the SR for the crazy #'s from what I have collected.

Beautiful to see it in the snow though!

Nice fish boys! End of March in Pulaski though ?? The main run from Feb has already pushed through the system to the hatchery.. Mid april once those fish get released is when you wanna be on the SR for the crazy #'s from what I have collected.

Beautiful to see it in the snow though!

You might wanna tell that to all the fresh fish we caught :)

You might wanna tell that to all the fresh fish we caught :)

X2 , Having fished it in April and done well on a mix of dropbacks and fresh fish. Sure there's lots up top, maybe the bulk of them, but those reports come from the guys who fish up there and not down lower. The Salmon has a looong stretch of fishable water and fish throughout. Peace

Awesome photos, Mike. I like it when someone knows how to use a camera! Not some crappy cell phone pic. Glad the trip was good. I love the Salmon River, and fresh fish just continue to pour into that place all winter long. I don't know what it is about that area, but lake effect snow will fall there when it's brown and green everywhere else. I've fished the Salmon R. every month between Nov. and April over the years, and had snow in every one of those months on one trip or another.

Good times.