To all the trollers out there

babaganoush

Will be trolling the great lakes for the first time this year so need some advice. Just bought a Shimano Tekota and now need to know what line I should be running. Majority of the time I will be trolling for trout and salmon. Should I go with a braid or mono and what pound test.

Thanks

Lead core. Try the new Tuf Line, very thin diameter. Can run a full 10 colors on a smaller reel. Find the book "precision trolling big water edition" . Speed is also a very important factor. If you are using down riggers most go with 30 lb mono and a lighter leader.

Riggers and dipsys for me... I'm a relative newbie to the trolling game out there but the worst thing you can do is complicate things... Keep it simple.. You can get cheap dipsy setups (I run Okuma Convectors and Okuma rods with 30# PP, some spin Dr's and flies).. On the riggers it's some old custom Fenwick fibreglass rods, Diawa Sealine 47H's from the 80's and 17lb Trilene big game.. An assortment of spoons (NK's, Michigan Stingers, etc will get you started)...

Body baits like Rapal J11's work great in the spring when you are fishing shallow (15-40ft)