quick starter removal question

mr blizzard

what vehicle/engine?

I've never seen a starter that was too hard to remove, all my vehicles have been a few bolts, drop in and out and done...but I've heard some horror stories but they were luxury cars, mercedes and a caddy

nevermind, my bad - sled...not a lot of help there

Edited by bare foot wader

No worries man, i wish it was a car or truck.

what vehicle/engine?

I've never seen a starter that was too hard to remove, all my vehicles have been a few bolts, drop in and out and done...but I've heard some horror stories but they were luxury cars, mercedes and a caddy

nevermind, my bad - sled...not a lot of help there

see if there is a removable plastic plug in the cowling to give access to the bolt from the outside.

Thanks great thought, but unfortuately nothing like that, I dont want to pull the clutch off either if I do not have to. Who designs these dang things anyway LOL, well more like lol it's not really that funny.

Still 4 feet of ice with good snow on the lakes.

Have you tried a starter wrench?

P13267019191598542m.jpg

Don't remember where I got it, but I've had one of those wrenches in my box for probably 30 years, use it all the time, and never knew it was called a starter wrench.

Thanks for the lesson Old Man :lol:

I had to make a wrench to get mine out a long time ago. took a spanner and cut it on a 45 and welded it back together. still have it today haha. I think you may be able to get it by removing the exhuast manifold.

Edited by jedimaster

I had to make a wrench to get mine out a long time ago. took a spanner and cut it on a 45 and welded it back together. still have it today haha. I think you may be able to get it by removing the exhuast manifold.

Thanks to Jedimaster, I will try the other wrenches first but if not a torch is coming out, there is too much snow and ice not to enjoy

Cheers

Some do hickies you never let go of . Might have to customize a wrench haha.

One thing about blind bolts.It is not getting the bolt out but getting it back in.If you don't have room to work fingers too start the bolt your beat.

What I do when it comes to blind nuts or bolts is once loosen,I try to remove an install before I remove conponent..

Make sure you don't throw off the center to center measurement on the primary to secondary drives or the belt alignment.

good point , have taken an engine out before but not the clutch, can u please if u have the time pm me about this center to center measurement etc , I love to learn.

good point , have taken an engine out before but not the clutch, can u please if u have the time pm me about this center to center measurement etc , I love to learn.

if your taking the engine out your removing the primary with it, mark your mounts because that's how centre to centre and offset are set (sliding motor mounts)