No roe in the ganny

16sailor

Wow I was at the meeting last night and the town can not ban the use of roe in port hope they wanted to send a letter to the mnr for the ban on wild roe I explained that there is no diffence between wild an hatchery fish. It is not the mnr call it is the fisheries act which is federal

When they implement the municiple fishing licence that's a whole new bucket of fish. It's on there radar and 100percent......

.......complete waste of time as the moeny it will take to administer this will far out weigh the money generated from licenses! Heck, staff resources to write the policy will put this plan deep in the hole to before it even gets of the ground!

I think there is a typo, I fixed it. ;)

Edited by Harrison

.......complete waste of time as the moeny it will take to administer this will far out weigh the money generated from licenses! Heck, staff resources to write the policy will put this plan deep in the hole to before it even gets of the ground!

NOTL went that route a few years back.

How would one know if the roe was wild or from a hatchery? Seems like a bylaw that is hard to enforce.

I am a little confused which part falls under Federal Jurisdiction? Couldn't the MNR just ban organic baits if they wanted too on the river?.

Edited by torco

According to the posted letter, its about slob fisherman dumping fish carcasses whether its salmon or steelhead etc into garbage cans after the roe has been removed, leaving the fish to rot, or for the township to cleanup. If thats the case the idiot fishermen created there own mess, and ive personally seen the dead carcasses esp salmon littlered on the shore with bellies slit open and roe removed. Certain individuals give passionate steelheaders a bad name and reputation, but the problem lies in enforcement or lack there of. As its against the law to let fish spoil, so a little visiblity from the MNR would solve the issue, and the charges layed would generate some revenue to help fund infrastructure, or social services, or open another methadone clinic LOL God forbid that revenues generated from fishing be used on fishing.

Liverealese I know. From what I have been told there were 3 phone calls to mnr tips Line about people fishing above bridge and keeping fish none of those tips have had follow ups by mnr. Same guy called about a walleye taken out of season he had a call back in less than 24 hours, same WMu same officer covers those areas so it shows where their priorities lie

Most likely the town looking at the $ to maintain the fish cleaning station. When the salmon run the river the town guys are making 2-3 trips a day .

Like every town they only see cost, they never look at benfits.

That's why it so important when you are buy services in Port Hope or any town you are fishing that you are here for the fishing.

2100 kg from Friday am to Saturday at noon of fish carcusus to the dump in fall salmon run they are tring to put bylaw in place so only place to clean fish is either at your own home or at the FREE fish cleaning station and it will remain FREE they would rather pay the cost to take to dump then to pay cost to clean carcusus and fish guts from the stream ,as well is to stop the smell

When has that ever stopped a municipality???? LOL

Have they forgotten that salmon die after the spawn and there dead carcasses feed the rivers

See now you just made the classic mistake we all make when trying to fight city hall. You have went and confused the ISSUE with facts and logic, and from past experience as right as you are it probably will fall on deaf ears....

Sound environmental sense cannot stand against the demands of residential ratepayers. You should hear the whining down here that we get whenever the wind carries the heady aroma of fresh spread fertilizer into the subdivisions

Have they forgotten that salmon die after the spawn and there dead carcasses feed the rivers

Think we need to get back to op and why town council thinks it would be good to band natural roe in favour of hatchery roe.

Theirs is a couple fish farms north of town that would like more sales. Are these people on town council.

They want to ban roe because they think it will somehow stop the slaughter of fish and reduce the amount of stinky fish carcasses all over the place. Boy are they wrong.

yes they are wrong to think banning roe will stop the stench , and yes they know the life cycle of the salmon. what most dont understand it is guys that realease the salmon in 2 inches of water and walk away and leave it there to die or people gutting salmon on the banks taking eggs and leaving carcuss to spoil. the only way to stop it is to do a bylaw to stop the gutting of fish on the river bank and make the fine high two or three people charged the word gets out quick

It would be absolutely hysterical to see a CO try to decipher between hatchery and wild roe.

A roe ban wouldn't bother me, personally. It also wouldn't do anything to stop the slaughter.

It's not the law-abiding anglers that come in at night and slit 50-100 fish (males and females).

As always theirs the law about wasting fish. On the books for years, it just needs to be enforced.

So we will make a by law to ban natural roe and send a by law officer down to the river to work under cover.

Just another well thought out plan. The guy with a gun can't get the job done so we will send the parking ticket cop.

The MNR is spending $250,000 on a weir for Duffins Creek to count fish (i.e Atlantics)

That is a lot of money that should go into the enforcement budget. IMO

Speaking of enforcement. My understandning is NY State does not fin clip their stocked fish. Bylaw folks will have to take scale samples.

Edited by Harrison