Amber rum? Suggestions on a good one?

Burtess

One of my buddies does my taxes and we usually give him a big home made lazagna and a case of tall boys.

I know he likes rum, anyone have a suggestion on a good light/amber rum that's not "run of the mill"?

Thanks,

Burt :)

Sailor Jerry is good and have heard good things about Kracken but can't seem to find it in Ontario?

They have both at my local LCBO in Toronto. Try searching the LCBO's website for locations that carry either. If you can't find some locally you can ask your local store to have some sent over from another LCBO.

I'm a rum guy myself and imo nothing tops Havana Club. If I'm slumming Appletons is pretty darned good.

If you want something extra special they sometimes have some phenominal but expensive bottles in the vintage section of the LCBO in Dundas.

Mike has turned me into a dark rum fan, I've gotta admit... We needed more booze on the Sutton, next time we'll pack accordingly!!! :)

Been a long time since I've posted but had a couple tonight and was surfing and came upon this. Rum is also my drink of choice but tastes can differ quite a bit. Appleton's was suggested above but it is one of the few that I really dislike, I find it more akin to a poor tasting whiskey than a good rum. Kraken is decent but strong and not really a sipping rum but goes nice with coke/pepsi. Most of the rum's I really enjoy aren't found here, I have a few pilot friends that bring me back what I prefer. When I run out of that however I usually pick up a bottle of Captain Morgan's spiced for mixed drinks. That being said any rum drinker I am sure will greatly appreciate something new so I would suggest finding something in the vintage section...you can often find something in the 50-70 range that will be good and likely new to them ;)

-AA.

In my opinion you will not find a better rum then Ron Zacapa Centenario 23. Distilled in the mountains of Guatemala, and has a very distinct taste. Incredibly smooth - served with a few drops of cola or straight up on the rocks.

Can be difficult to find, but absolutely worth it (and every dollar you will have to pay).

**Edit - I should add that the only reason I can afford to drink this stuff is because my girlfriend's grandmother actually lives in the Zacapa region of Guatemala, so I encourage them to smuggle as much as they can carry back every time they visit.

It will run you about $100/bottle here (if you can find it). Costs ~$30 USD in Guatemala.

Edited by kemper

I'm a rum guy myself and imo nothing tops Havana Club. If I'm slumming Appletons is pretty darned good.

If you want something extra special they sometimes have some phenominal but expensive bottles in the vintage section of the LCBO in Dundas.

I too am a rum guy and agree with Mike here. Havana Club is my favourite hands down. They typically sell one with brown label and one with the black. Bot are really good but the black labelled one is aged longer. So more $$$. Not a huge fan of Appletons, But definitely check the vintage section for something unique.