The Story Behind the Mishap.... Another bad Streek of White Stripes

Leecher

Just to follow up on my other thread and to tell to story of my wonderful time I had yesterday...

Well, haven't been out much this season compared to previous years... 3 times total :o Not normal for me <_<

First 2 outings, came back with white stripes for my efforts but yesterday was determine to put an end to my negative streek... what I didn't know was how the day was going to unfold :o

So I'm up bright and early, 5h30am, on the road by 6h00am and got to destination 7h30am... It was beautiful out there with sunny skies and no wind :) -10C at the time and getting warmer B)

Started to scout the area where I usually setup as I'm walking onto the ice... a few holes here & there but none where I usually setpup... so I started to drill my hole... about 4" of snow was on top of the ice... got busy drilling and about 40 - 45 sec into it, I get thru :D I give another 1/2 turn and push down to brake the little bit left and then proceed to pull on the handle... huh :huh: tough... pull again and WAMMO!!!

Left with handle in hand :wallbash: At this point could not believe it :wallbash: and then came the fancy words that cannot be displayed here... but it was a great mix :lol:

So now, I'm faced with an unusable auger, and not sure if I can drop a line in that hole :wallbash: I started to remove the slush from it to get a better picture, get my jigging rod out, drop a buckshot as a last resort and hope for the best :angel: Well it turns out, the spoon goes down to bottom and started to jigging B) But it wasn't working :wallbash:

So then, decided to change presentation every 15 minutes or so to see if I could get a hookup.... NOT :wallbash:

Things I tried from the arsenal I had was:

1/4oz Buckshot, 1/4oz jig with grub tipped with minnow head, dead sticking salties, micro jig with Gulp fish fry, Micro tube on a tiny jig with Gulp grub (twister tail), salties again on a spoon, half a salties (head) on a hook.... NOTHING WOULD WORK :wallbash:

So by 10h30am, I called it a day out of frustation and some very unpleasant choice of words :lol:

So I made this little video of my ordeal... choice of music is a little iffy but hope it's OK by the mods :)

Enjoy!

TJunkie

http://s732.beta.photobucket.com/user/leechman1/media/Hard%20Water%202013/TroutJunkiesSpecksHuntingampUnexpectedMishap_zps1c785b3b.mp4.html

Edited by TroutJunkie

Dave, it's beyond repair :( I know exactly where it is... and would be able to retrieve it at ice out but the drill bit broke at the collar that is still attach to the handle :wallbash::wallbash: Next season will be looking at purchasing a new one :)

And I thought my ice fishing season sucked LOL<br /><br />Thanks again for the recipe , I guess we are both substituting ribs in place of fish fries.<br /><br />I know your next hard water season will be 1,000% better Jacque.<br /><br />Cheers John

Your welcome John... my pleasure to share :) I still got venison in the freezer and was hoping to do a surf & turf... had I caught one of them pokadots :whistling: Ah well, need to wait until end of April now and it's all good :) I'll settle on them ribs and chicken fried rice for the time being :whistling::D:lol:

Jacques

Tj you crack me up..

If your intrested in a real auger with a engine let ne know.

I of corse would have to deliver it but shipping cost can be off set with FISHING...

That sounds like a great idea SaltyD!!! I'll keep that in mind :)

Jacques you are just too strong for a manual auger get a gas Auger!

Mike, I like to travel light and a manual auger is perfect for me... Just have to buy a better build one next time :)