need a bbq recipie for ribs

mr blizzard

Greetings from NWT, beautiful -34 windchills with 4 feet of "good ice" lol

I guess i have been fishing with the wrong end of the rod again this winter :tease: . I think the Leafs will win the Stanely Cup before I reach 10 for the season, but the scenery is great.

My son is having his 18th birthday in a couple of days, not looking good for a fish fry, that was one thing on his list BUT he loves spare ribs on the bbq.

Can anyone help with a simple recipe for a dry rub or a liquid u could soak them in like a marinate for a few hours before bbqing.

Enjoy your weekend and the March break, hope you all have safe travels today and tight lines.

Thanks Blizz

I did two sets of pork ribs in the oven at home recently and they were pretty good

I put in roughly(i dont actually measure)

Tbsp sea salt

Tbsp black pepper

Tbsp white pepper

Tbsp paprika

Tsp cayenne

Tsp garlic powder

Tbsp la grille sweet chili and peppers

Tsp ground mustard

Tsp oregana

Mix this in a bowl and handrub onto both sides of the ribs, let sit however long you like. Drink beer:)

Cook ribs meat side up for about 1 hr 45 min at 325 in oven on middle rack. Put a lot of bbq sauce of your choice on ribs and cook BONE side up for another 30 min.flip ribs cover meat side and cook meat side up for 15 more min. Enjoy. P.s. You dont have to u put on bbq sauce but i would. I used diana sauce chicken and rib with some pc tequila habenero On top.

I make mine in the oven -in winter might as well heat the house.

Back ribs way better IMO.

Peel the tough skin off the rib side. Make a nick with knife and peel.

Apply your favourite spices or rub both sides.

Wrap each rack completely in foil all sides and slow cook in oven 325 for 2-3 hrs.

Then uncover and smother with BBQ sauce all sides and bake @ 350 rib side down for another 30 min.

Paint with sauce meat side every 10-15 min.

Yummy

Mr. Blizzard,

I have a homemade sauce recipe for baby back ribs that's just so good :) Preparation time is easy.... One important thing to remember is to remove the thin membrane on the under side of the rack length wise... cut it in 2 and boil them first in a cooking pot with a little salt. You will see a skim of fat on the surface (greyish looking), wait till it dissipate a little and remove from the boiling water and prep the sauce.

This way the oil and browning steps are not necessary :) This will give you a "fall off the bones rack of ribs" :D

Ingredients:

· 3 to 4 pounds spareribs, cut in serving-size pieces

· 2 tablespoons oil Optional if searing in skillet

· 1 1/2 cups tomato juice

· 1/2 cup chopped celery

· 1/2 cup chopped onion

· 1/3 cup vinegar

· 1/4 cup ketchup

· 2 tablespoons brown sugar

· 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

· 2 teaspoons paprika

· 1 teaspoon chili powder

· 1 teaspoon salt

· 1 teaspoon dry mustard

· 4 tablespoons molasses

· chop garlic to taste

Preparation:

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; brown ribs, turning to brown all sides. (not necessary if boiling them) Transfer (boiled ribs) to a large casserole or baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients, use a cuisinart hand food processor to liquify and pour over ribs. Cover with foil or lid and bake at 250° for 2 hours, basting occasionally. Uncover and bake 15 minutes longer.

Serves 4 to 6.

I also make a vegetable chicken fried rice to go with this :P:)

TJunkie

Check out these beer braised sticky ribs from Chatelaine. Highly recommended. This recipe won a big rib cook off at buddies lake. Everything can be made ahead and then finished on the grill. Easy to add extras like garlic or hot sauce etc. Messy as hell to eat but that's half the fun. Cheers

http://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/world-cuisine-2/beer-braised-sticky-ribs/

Check out these beer braised sticky ribs from Chatelaine. Highly recommended. This recipe won a big rib cook off at buddies lake. Everything can be made ahead and then finished on the grill. Easy to add extras like garlic or hot sauce etc. Messy as hell to eat but that's half the fun. Cheers

Thanks Smitty55, this ones sounds like a winner as well, I will let u know how they turn out, sounds like a recipie for ribs that u have enjoyed, thanks for sharing

Cheers

Thanks Old Man for this one, its one thing to look up recipies on the internet but it is truly appreciated hearing your responses having actually tried them personally. My son will be eating so many ribs that he might not have room for the birthday cake,,,,ya right, thanks again, my wife is already giving a :good:

Cheers John

Best ribs you'll ever make yourself:

INGREDIENTS

2 racks pork side ribs (about 4 lb)

Spice Rub
3 tbsp paprika
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper

Sauce
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 jalapeño, coarsely chopped
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 cup water
⅓ cup white vinegar
⅓ cup soy sauce

DIRECTIONS

1. Remove membrane from bony side of ribs by lifting one corner with a small, sharp knife. Grasp with a piece of paper towel and peel off. Cut each rack crosswise into three pieces.
2. Stir ingredients for spice rub and smear over ribs. Heat a lightly oiled, large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Sear ribs in batches for about 2 minutes, turning once, until golden on both sides. As each batch browns, place ribs, meaty side down and more or less in a single layer, in a large roasting pan.

3. Scatter onion, jalapeño, ginger and garlic over ribs. Stir together remaining sauce ingredients and pour over ribs. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake on lowest shelf of oven at 325° F for about 1 ½ hours or until ribs are tender but not yet falling off the bone.
4. Preheat barbecue to medium. Remove ribs to a large bowl. Strain sauce through a sieve and pour over ribs. Toss well.
5. Grill ribs for 6 to 8 minutes, turning often and basting generously with some of the sauce remaining in bowl, until browned. Remove ribs.
6. Pour remaining sauce into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes until reduced, thickened and sticky. Pour over ribs and toss gently. Arrange ribs on platter and serve at once.
Makes 4 servings

I boil mine in beer, pepper, cayene, cajun spice and a bit of tomatoe sauce and potatoes for about 10 mins. Pull the ribs out, put them on the grill. when the potatoes start to get soft I deep fry them... ohhhh so yum. For the BBQ sauce...

I have the recipe engraved on a stone in 20 fow in the first bay on the right when entering from the eastern most tip just south of the third island that casts a shadow in the shape of a bull horn when viewed from the north at 3:35pm on the day after the first full moon before the harvest moon. Mind you, it desn't work unless you sacrfice two virgins, three pigs and a goat on consectutive sundays prior.

Oh yah, I forgot to mention, when you go to get the recipe, don't forget your rod the lake is full of 8 pound speckle's that will take anything you throw at them.

Edited by jedimaster

Thanks ADB that sounds like a keeper as well, With all these great recipies my son, wife and I will try them on all our birthdays, thanks for taking the time for sharing, Have a great soft water season

Cheers, John

Best ribs you'll ever make yourself:

INGREDIENTS

2 racks pork side ribs (about 4 lb)

Spice Rub
3 tbsp paprika
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper

Sauce
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 jalapeño, coarsely chopped
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 cup water
⅓ cup white vinegar
⅓ cup soy sauce

DIRECTIONS

1. Remove membrane from bony side of ribs by lifting one corner with a small, sharp knife. Grasp with a piece of paper towel and peel off. Cut each rack crosswise into three pieces.
2. Stir ingredients for spice rub and smear over ribs. Heat a lightly oiled, large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Sear ribs in batches for about 2 minutes, turning once, until golden on both sides. As each batch browns, place ribs, meaty side down and more or less in a single layer, in a large roasting pan.

3. Scatter onion, jalapeño, ginger and garlic over ribs. Stir together remaining sauce ingredients and pour over ribs. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake on lowest shelf of oven at 325° F for about 1 ½ hours or until ribs are tender but not yet falling off the bone.
4. Preheat barbecue to medium. Remove ribs to a large bowl. Strain sauce through a sieve and pour over ribs. Toss well.
5. Grill ribs for 6 to 8 minutes, turning often and basting generously with some of the sauce remaining in bowl, until browned. Remove ribs.
6. Pour remaining sauce into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes until reduced, thickened and sticky. Pour over ribs and toss gently. Arrange ribs on platter and serve at once.
Makes 4 servings

I boil mine in beer, pepper, cayene, cajun spice and a bit of tomatoe sauce and potatoes for about 10 mins. Pull the ribs out, put them on the grill. when the potatoes start to get soft I deep fry them... ohhhh so yum. For the BBQ sauce...

I have the recipe engraved on a stone in 20 fow in the first bay on the right when entering from the eastern most tip just south of the third island that casts a shadow in the shape of a bull horn when viewed from the north at 3:35pm on the day after the first full moon before the harvest moon. Mind you, it desn't work unless you sacrfice two virgins, three pigs and a goat on consectutive sundays prior.

Oh yah, I forgot to mention, when you go to get the recipe, don't forget your rod the lake is full of 8 pound speckle's that will take anything you throw at them.

Thanks ADB that sounds like a keeper as well, With all these great recipies my son, wife and I will try them on all our birthdays, thanks for taking the time for sharing, Have a great soft water season

Cheers, John

THAT'S EXACTLY where I was planning my :Gonefishing: trip in 4 more weeks to hunt down the speckle's and to dive for the secret stone :tease::tease: Did my wife let the cat out of the bag :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: . She just cannot keep a secret lol. I have already paid Buffalo Joe from Buffalo Airways to fly the two virgins, three pigs and a goat down south for you, keeping in mind they have to come from Edmonton as I can assure you there are no virgins... lol or pigs (of the animal kind) or goats in Yellowknife. :tease::tease::tease:

That was a great one :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: Jedimaster, my wife still has tears in her eyes

Cheers John

One of the easiest things we have done for awesome ribs is get Ted Readers bone dust rub (Canadian Tire sells it)

Cover top of ribs in bone dust then cover with a very generous amount of brown sugar

Let sit in fridge until the sugar turns syrup like 12 hours is awesome

Cook on BBQ or charcoal about. 300° For 1 1/2-2 hours non direct heat with the glaze side up do not turn they will be awesome we do them this way alot anymore.

I was always told to par boil my ribs and chicken before BBQing. I found it took away the full flavor of the meat,and no longer do it. I like to marinade for 24 hours on the ribs,and 4-6 hours for chicken. the secret is cooking slow.

Im always exploring new marinaids,and nothing is to spec. Just tweeking them here and there each time I make them. I mostly start mild heat,then will bump it up to where it,s tasty and nothing that will burn yer yap off yer face.

I do both dry and wet. I,ll do a dry rub,,let it sit,,then put it into a wet marinade and allow to sit from any wheres from 10-24 hours. All my BBQ is done by indirect heat,then throw it on the flame just to give it that candy finish.

CANDY RIBS

rack004.jpg

Edited by Misfish

I was always told to par boil my ribs and chicken before BBQing. I found it took away the full flavor of the meat,and no longer do it. I like to marinade for 24 hours on the ribs,and 4-6 hours for chicken. the secret is cooking slow.

CANDY RIBS

rack004.jpg

Agreed 100%. Low and slow is the key (4-6hrs on the grill)

One of the best bbq books I have come across is written by "Chef Paul Kirk - the BBQ Baron". Very informative describing different regional flavours and techniques with a ton of recipes. A must have IMO.

If you try korean bbq all you need is: soya, garlic, ginger, sugar, sesame oil and green onion.

Add enough soya just to moisten the meat. You do not want them swimming in soya or they will be salty.

Rough chop all other ingredients. Add enough sugar (more than you think) until you have a sweet/salty/teriyaki flavour. Sorry I do not measure. Marinate over night or min. 4 hrs.

The ribs are sold as "miami ribs", "L.A. cut ribs" or "galbi ribs". Alot of local butchers can get them or go to an asian market.

Haha. i just realized your location. Asian markets will be tough to find. The marinade can be used on steak (sirloin, flank, striploin, ribeye) as well. Just make sure the steak is not too thick as the sugar in the marinade will burn before the meat is cooked. High heat is needed.

Dry rub ( any of those recipes above sound good). In the oven at 275 for 4 hrs. Then on the BBQ up top warming rack on indirect low heat with smoke chips for another 20 min. ( my BBQ has a smoke chip tray). Sauce at the table, not on the BBQ.

Edited by Canuck

This wins every time. Cover the rack from end to end with orange slices and the smother with favorite BBQ sauce. Bake 1.5 hours at 350. Finish on BBQ. Plain for dry ribs or redcoats with sauce for wet! Rarely leaves leftovers...