Someone was asking about Silver Bass

I can't seem to find the thread from last week or so when a member was asking about Silver Bass locations soon to be open at a location near you. Can you imagine how many search hits one gets when the words silver and Bass are mentioned in the same sentence? I'll tell ya, 15 pages.

Well I have some good news. I reported that the Nanticoke coal fired station has be slow in he last year and soon will close. The west stack has been emitting very heavily in the last week. Ran into a plant worker in Selkirk and he told me that the plant will be mothballed soon however they are up to 60% production and that should be enough to create a good differential temperature and hopefully bring the Silvers in next month. Might even launch in the next few weeks, just to get out there. Will let you know what I find as far as water temps go and hopefully report on finding a few fish on the floor of the PT 109.

I know stack emissions is not good news, normally, but when it comes to a boat load of fat Silvers well I have to make lemonade if all I have is lemons.

I think that taking the time to post this was very nice of you Old Ironmaker! I live near Longpoint and usually try to sneak out on the inner bay as soon as big creen is open and there's just a few iceburgs floating around. But who know's maybe I'll give Nanticoke a shot this year. I've been wanting to try fishing it ever since I fished a warm water outfloow in the USA years back for prespawn smallies. That being said I'd be targeting silver bass or other gamefish that are in season on this side of the border.

The outflow aint what it used to be. Some silvers left for sure, nothing close to what used to run in there.

Fishing pressure ruined it like anything else down here. Too many meat hunters. Enjoy catching 8" silvers, if you luck out and can find a spot to anchor your boat.

Urban fisherman,

Your most welcome, one reason I rejoined here after many years without high speed internet here is all the good folks and lack of Bull. I have always wanted to hit your end after ice out but never had the time or boat. I have both now, retirement really is a blessing. Have heard about the crappie fishing around the docks at Turkey Point, any suggestions, that's one big bay.

Thanks in advance.

Non fishing related but Normandale had the first Blast Furnace in Canada. I bet you knew that.

Rich - Fair enough... I don't really care so much about silvers themselves, just the hope that the water brings in a steady bite, drum, carp, suckers, silvers, pike whatever is open... Last time I fished an outflow was probably 6 years ago, and though we were targeting smallies in the US it was an insane multi species day...

Old I - I've only lived down this way for about 5 years and have small kids, so I usually just hit a few good rock bass spots that I know of on the inner bay during ice out - to keep them catching fish and interested in the sport. Most of my "serious" ice-out fishing to date has been on Deer Creek reservoir 5 minutes from my doorstep, for big pre-spawn bluegill & crappie, then trout once the season opens. That being said, my wife and I are planning to move the family into Port Rowan, so I'm going to be shifting most of my fishing to the inner bay starting this summer.

Rich,

No it sure isn't what it was just 3 years ago, I have to disagree though that fishing pressure is the reason. I believe it is the lack of a 65°F water ledge. Just 3 years ago we kept many 12 to 15 inchers. Need to find those pics, best day ever there mid April in 2010, and that's going back to 1991.

Rich,

No it sure isn't what it was just 3 years ago, I have to disagree though that fishing pressure is the reason. I believe it is the lack of a 65°F water ledge. Just 3 years ago we kept many 12 to 15 inchers. Need to find those pics, best day ever there mid April in 2010, and that's going back to 1991.

When I was 14-18 on my dad's bass boat we used to get fish around 15-17" as an average.

As years went on, the average size got smaller. Just like LMB and SMB on the inner bay, too many keeping genetically large fish from the pod. There are still big roamers once in a while but these fish travel a long distance following pods of bait to get there. The residents are much, much smaller.

I fish the outflow once a month during open water and have for 20 years now. Look for a steel camo boat and a loud, cocky dude .. thats me, lol

On the bright side - though the silvers may have generally gone down in size, its exactly what Ryan said. Consistent action. Drum, wee smallies (the odd pig) , rockies, perch, and the whities are the most common catches. Anything is possible though, in 20 years I've seen giants of every species come out of there at random. Most notably my dad got a 53" musky there when I was 16, in november. What a fish, I'll never forget that.

On the bright side - though the silvers may have generally gone down in size, its exactly what Ryan said. Consistent action. Drum, wee smallies (the odd pig) , rockies, perch, and the whities are the most common catches. Anything is possible though, in 20 years I've seen giants of every species come out of there at random. Most notably my dad got a 53" musky there when I was 16, in november. What a fish, I'll never forget that.

that's what I'm talkin' about! Ok - back to work for real this time! hah

When I was 14-18 on my dad's bass boat we used to get fish around 15-17" as an average.

As years went on, the average size got smaller. Just like LMB and SMB on the inner bay, too many keeping genetically large fish from the pod. There are still big roamers once in a while but these fish travel a long distance following pods of bait to get there. The residents are much, much smaller.

I fish the outflow once a month during open water and have for 20 years now. Look for a steel camo boat and a loud, cocky jerk .. thats me, lol

Ok you got me on the average size diminishing over the years all across most fisheries. And those were the days if you wanted to teach yourself to fish you watched Red Fisher, cherry red nose and all. Then a couple of brothers from Chicago showed up on TV fishing Minnesota lakes. The Linders. Then came Bobby Izzumi with a full head of hair, sorry Bob I know you read this forum, and brother Wayne, then before you know it there are 24 hour fishing channels. Now you can't swing a cat without hitting a fisherperson. Pressure certainly has changed things, big time, yes I agree with that.

I had my boat docked at Hoovers Marina up to 2011, but didn't put it in there last year because the action really died off at the outflow. Only saw a few boats there last season. Didn't fish it once. Did you have any luck last year Rich? And oh was that you, I never figured out why someone would camp the top of a boat, fish can only see the bottom of the hull!

Urban,

Don't blink because before you know it that 40 years are gone and your kids are picking you up to take you fishing. Life isn't a countdown, I remember guys Xing out days on the calendar years ahead of their last day. What a waste of time and life. Enjoy everyday and keep up the CPP payments for us retirees. Thanks, and work well and safe.

As a kid I remember fishing for Silver Bass from shore on the Detroit River. We had a blast when they were running. Same with the perch. We used to use a two-hook rig and double headers were the norm. Some fond memories. It's too bad things have changed, but hopefully it's a natural fluctuation.

sorry to hear they arent what they used to be - one of the first places I went when I bought the new boat, was a ton of fun, bagged countless fish in a few hours. I was hoping to get out there this spring or some light action fun

Ok you got me on the average size diminishing over the years all across most fisheries. And those were the days if you wanted to teach yourself to fish you watched Red Fisher, cherry red nose and all. Then a couple of brothers from Chicago showed up on TV fishing Minnesota lakes. The Linders. Then came Bobby Izzumi with a full head of hair, sorry Bob I know you read this forum, and brother Wayne, then before you know it there are 24 hour fishing channels. Now you can't swing a cat without hitting a fisherperson. Pressure certainly has changed things, big time, yes I agree with that.

I had my boat docked at Hoovers Marina up to 2011, but didn't put it in there last year because the action really died off at the outflow. Only saw a few boats there last season. Didn't fish it once. Did you have any luck last year Rich? And oh was that you, I never figured out why someone would camp the top of a boat, fish can only see the bottom of the hull!

Urban,

Don't blink because before you know it that 40 years are gone and your kids are picking you up to take you fishing. Life isn't a countdown, I remember guys Xing out days on the calendar years ahead of their last day. What a waste of time and life. Enjoy everyday and keep up the CPP payments for us retirees. Thanks, and work well and safe.

I went out one morning before work for 4 hrs in June, on a Tuesday I think, and caught silvers like ive never caught them before. Anything silver in the flow, fish on before you could turn your bail over. All small ones of course but we picked out about 30 keepers to bring home and released triple that.

Never got into silvers before or after that one magic morning.

Every other trip out there was pretty well a washout this season. Lots of drum & rockies to play with, some tiny smallies.. hit some jumbo perch further out into 30fow a couple times in the summer too.