Rest in peace Stompin Tom

danc

Many nights we woke up the neighbours while camping at 3-Rock. 20 people around the fire, drunk, and screaming this song. The neighbours being Little Go Home...

Edited by N.A.W

I'm so saddened about this , I grew up listening to his music , he's on every mix tape or CD I've ever made , I've seen him live more than 30 times and even shook his hand .... I feel like I just lost a close uncle ...

RIP Uncle Tom .

I'm so saddened about this , I grew up listening to his music , he's on every mix tape or CD I've ever made , I've seen him live more than 30 times and even shook his hand .... I feel like I just lost a close uncle ...

RIP Uncle Tom .

Never shook his hand, but everything else I can relate to Randy. Sad sad day for me as well.

So true Mike, his music would put a smile on my face as well. First memory of Tom was watching his performance on TV from the Horseshoe Tavern. As a kid it amazed me how he would wear down that plywood just by kicking it with his boot.

R.I.P Tom

Bugs bugs bugs

If I had them all in jugs

I would dig dig dig

Till a great big hole was dug dug dug

Stompin Toms

Bug song.

As for his letter .

It is us that should be humble.

One of my father in laws fondest memmories was of meeting Stomping Tom at the legion and then playing guitatar with him in his home after the legion closed.

Tottenham Ontario.

Good old boys

They dont makem like that anymore.....

The spirit of a soul lives on through the living that it has touched..

Truly sad to hear...

Love his music... Even have my 2 year old loving big joe mufferaw.... Especially when I sing it and make funny faces like Stompin Tom did...

Sometimes when I'm trolling walleye on a calm night I play a little Stompin Tom... Put my feet up... And just troll...

A true Canadian icon now gone, but his music will live on for eternity. Stompin Tom born 77 years ago in St. Johns Newfoundland. He is credited with authoring over 300 original songs and original is the word. Although Sudbury is the nickel town, we borrowed " Sudbury Saturday Night " as a theme song for Steelworkers in Hamilton. Replace Sudbury with Hamilton and boom, it sure described a lot of goings on in any hotel back then. Met Stompin Tom when he played the Jockey Club downwind of Stelco and Dofasco in the early 70's. After his set he was selling albums and 8 tracks from a card table set up in the corner. On the way back from a FLA. Road trip in 1976 stopped in Atlanta to visit some transplanted cousins from North Tonawanda NY. They asked one evening if I had any Canuck music in my Ford Econoline van. Pulled out the 8 track case and popped in a Stompin Tom tape on my Muntz Quadraphonic 8 track 4 speaker system. Needless to say when I was back on the road the tape was missing and my cousin Ralph left me a note thanking me for the great country western music.

Gonna miss Tom and his down to earth, grass roots love of country.

His three cord songs, his lyrics, all scream of times of old when values were things you learned; you did not buy.

For many years, on Saturday mornings, you could hear Stompin Tom blasting out of our house. Saturday was cleaning day and all my wife had to do, was put on our copy of Stompin Tom, "A proud Canadian". The vacum seemed to work on it's own!

I have a number of favorites of Tom's, including:

and

RIP Tom... you did good!

HH

I read his book, about his life, till he started to succeed... great read.. every one should read it. He will be missed.. but his songs will forever ring out at camp!

We will miss him very much. Saw him years ago in Toronto , but even better in my moms home town of Sudbury, still have his cds and will play them with even more Canadian pride than before. :clapping:

A few years ago while we were still in Barrie a potato truck rolled over just south of Barrie, the driver was fine and was from PEI........we had kicx fm play Bud the Spud during the noon request show.

Ironically friends of ours just flew back to Summerside 2 days ago after visiting up here for a week. We played some of his songs around the campfire. They own an oyster farm back there and were kind enough to bring us up some PEI dirt shirts.....those t shirts will be worn in respect to Stompin Tom,

Rest in peace knowing we will always celebrate your life in music.

Blizz

Goodbye Jim & Jackie, goodbye John & May
We hate to see you leaving, bound for the USA
But if you don't believe your country should come before yourself
Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else

I know the times are changing, factories closing down
But if you stay and help us, we can turn these things around
But if you don't believe your country should come before yourself

And while our politicians, divde our presious land
We speak in French & English, but they still don't understand
If you don't believe your country should come before yourself

In a land that's short on heros, they trade our jobs away
And we don't need no zeros to come and help us save the day
So if you don't believe your country should come before yourself

And if you should find your heaven, where stars & stripes are flown
You'll learn to stand more proudly, than you ever stood back home
And they'll tell you that your country, must come before yourself
Or you'll have to serve your country by living somewhere else

So goodbye Jim & Jackie, goodbye John & May
We hope that you'll be happy, living in the USA
Cause if you don't believe your country should come before yourself

If you don't believe your country should come before yourself

A better Canadian was never born , spent many nights at the horse shoe watching him stomp thu boards singing songs of CANADA ,

RIP TOM ,