Running out of gas aftermath???

So I ALMOST ran out of gas from what I can tell... If I did my gauge malfunctioned....

I was on my way somewhere and my truck stalled... It started right away... Then all was fine for a while... Then every so often it felt like I'd loose power for a split second... It stalled 2 more times at stops on my way to the gas station.... Then I filled up and it seamed ok... A couple hiccups then smooth as silk till I got home.... When i took a hard left to get in the driveway it stalled again...

So my question...

When you run out of gas... Can it be normal to have a few stalls/hiccups.... Like maybe the truck has some "bubbles" in the fuel line or something....

And please... Nobody respond with "running out of gas kills your fuel pump"... I've read this online 50 times already.... I'm just wondering if it is to be expected to have a few stalls or studders after filling up and getting started....

I'm with Bill. Chances are that in running it right down, you plugged up the pickup which is a very fine filter. You should think about pulling the pump and cleaning the pickup sock and changing the fuel filter. Hopefully this will get you going again. If not, you already know the answer.

Could be you sucked up some water if there was any condensation in the tank.

First thing I would do before filters etc. would be to put a bottle of gas line antifreeze in your tank and run a while.

Water droplets are bigger than fuel droplets and can clog small ports.

The anti freeze breaks up the water droplets into smaller sizes so they can pass through the system.

Happened to me going down the 401. Stalled at 120k pulled it over. Sat for about 5 minutes after repeated attempts to restart. Turned it over one more time and it fired back up. Took it to the mechanic and he changed out the fuel filter. It also hiccuped since the day I bought it so he figured the filter was well on its way then.

When you run out it takes some time for the air to bleed out. Don't forget the gas intake is in the bottom of your tank, and rust and water sinks in gas so if it was in your tank when you were empty it was in your tank when it was full, and it would already be in your fuel filter. If you let it sit for a while empty then you can get extra condensation, but running it empty then filling it shouldn't have a huge effect on condensation. I wouldn't go crazy and tear things apart. Just drive it for a tank or two and put some water displacement fluid or gasline antifreeze in it and see how it goes. When you run out of gas you run out, and it won't start right away. It doesn't sound like you ran out, but it possible you could have sloshed aroung whil almost empty and sucked in some air.

Edited by jedimaster

Mike for what it's worth because of the amount I drive I top up everyday.Having said that I have 419km's on my truck and haven't changed the fuel filter yet.I know I should have probably changed it 2 or 3 times .Not letting it get low is key.You may very well as mentioned a short or a fuel pump issue. It's funny or luck,over the last 30 years I have never changed a fuel filter in any of my 400km plus vehicles.Touch wood lol.

After reading the thread I was ready to say with todays vehicles it could be almost anything, Then I read Daveybouys response, I concur, it could be one of many fuel delivery issues or one of many on board computer issues. I have run out of fuel hundreds of times in the last 42 years, and I embellish not. The trucks we ran in the plant were constantly running out of gas especially on night shift before they came up with digital gas cards. Once you put some gas in it the things they ran as normal. And believe me those in plant unplated trucks that never (almost never) saw more than 75 km per hour as speed limit was 25kph. These things were done after 6 months. And to say they were serviced, well is pushing it. Just before I retired my 600k beater the fuel line became pinched with a hunk of dirt/mud and occasionally would stall out and act exactly as if you ran out of gas, which technically I did. So as I and daveybouy said it could be almost anything. Take a look under the vehicle and check your fuel line. It could be as simple as a pinched line.

Well... Got me to work and back... No issues... Fingers crossed...

Gunna get some gas line antifreeze... Just in case...

Thing is... I let it get low so I get as big a fill up as possible because I fill up in the USA... So more gas per trip is more savings... Bridge toll....

But the empty light never came on this time...

A buddy at work said he used to have a truck that would studder in turns if he was low on gas...

Anyways... Seams ok now...

Thanks for the replies everyone...

If it blows up ill let you know...

That has happened a couple times to me , once it was the fuel filter and the next time it was the sending unit . The wiring for the unit had corroded on top of the tank . Like others have said I would run some fresh gas through it with some gas line antifreeze and see what happens first . If I remember the sending unit fix was $$$$$ Good luck !

try seafoam as randy said to clean it up.

several days ago you posted about a light issue on the truck, did you resolve it? were you playing with any wires under the truck, it is possible that a ground could have been disturbed that's tied into the fuel pump, also were all guessing it's fuel related also possible crank/cam sensor is dropping out checked for schaffed wires in engine compartment.

or just make make life easier get a gmc :tease: