Anyone here boiling sap?

Sinker

Tell me,whats 1200 gallons worth on the market? Thats what Shaws did.

Enjoyed this thread,had nothing to contribute,but enjoyed all your harvests from mother nature.

Oh BTW,I like my pancakes staked 6 high,12" round,and,smootherd with peanut butter and syurp. :clapping:

Looking good Chris... here is my first batch!

IMG_0216_zps328e7bb5.jpg

About 525 Litres of sap.

TJ I will pm you with my mailing address :whistling::whistling: no trees to tap up here and like misfish said it has been a truly interesting thread, most enjoyable, miss seeing those central Ontario sugar shacks.

Totals for this year - 48 taps installed producing approximately 1200 litres of sap. I completed 4 boils in total, producing approx. 30 litres of syrup. First 2 boils were light syrup, the third boil was medium and the fourth boil was amber to dark. For our area this was an excellent year for sap and syrup producers are happy with their yields. Hopefully supply and demand principles will adjust the high prices from last year in order to help consumers.

For me, making syrup is a rite of spring that I originally started in 2005 and have enjoyed with my kids, I now share the enjoyment with my neighbours and their kids since moving into the town of Elmvale.

• 2 weeks later...
Well another year of maple syrup done . Bottled the last Batch, took the cans off the trees today, and some were still running, but its time to move on to other projects. Still gotta clean up everything and tidy up but the end result was around 1800 litres of sap collected and around 52l of syrup. Thanks to everyone who came out to party and help us my buddy Carl for his electrical expertise and unwavering ability to help me get a hangover. A big thanks to Monique for her constant patience and devotion. The last batch of syrup was really thick and very dark, which shes always said is exactly the way she likes it!! LOL

Here the last batch.

IMG_1419.JPG

Kept up on this thread since the ground was frozen down here, have 7 rounds of golf in by now, thanks to all for the entertainment and education.

We had the pancake and syrup day last month at the local sugar shack and picked up a bottle of natures finest, every time I dole out some I think of TJ and Sinker.

Thanks boys.

And girls.

TJ, how's your lovely daughter doing?

Johnny D.

Right. On TJ. That's a great run. Would you say this was a better than averagge season for your area?

S.

Not sure about our area. I probably could have left the cans on for another batch, but we started cleaning and fixing things Mid Feb. and This was the weekend I had planned to quit. So we could have done more. IM sure anyone who rides out the next week willl have done fine, but i dont think it was a banner year for anyone up here. Weather just wasn't consistent at at.. (well not consistently good anyway!)

Kept up on this thread since the ground was frozen down here, have 7 rounds of golf in by now, thanks to all for the entertainment and education.

We had the pancake and syrup day last month at the local sugar shack and picked up a bottle of natures finest, every time I dole out some I think of TJ and Sinker.

Thanks boys.

And girls.

TJ, how's your lovely daughter doing?

Johnny D.

Thanks! and shes doing just fine!

• 10 months later...

Just bringing this thread back to life.Waiting for the forecast to change here in southern ont.if I see some plus temps in the forecast I think I might start hanging buckets.....have everything almost ready.im gonna ramp things up this year abit due to demand lol. 100 taps. Built a arch out of an old firebox. Picked up a brand new 2x5 dominion&grimm three section pan.hope to boil a wee bit faster this way...

It's obvious Old man winter has never had a hot maple whiskey shot or he would have turned the freezer off lol

How bout you guys?.TJ,Sinker you guys looking forward to sappin??

Edited by lakerguy

Yup.. as a matter of fact i just finished my new sap hauler ... im gonna start breaking trails and getting ready this weekend, maybe start tapping slowly on Monday... its still along way off up here.

Last year I did 225 trees, this year im aiming for 300+

IMG_1828_zpsefd7aa48.jpg

IMG_1831_zps23770cb4.jpg

IMG_1832_zps6875efd3.jpg

IMG_1834_zps5466c49e.jpg

It will be a long hard season!! I cant wait!

Yup.. as a matter of fact i just finished my new sap hauler ... im gonna start breaking trails and getting ready this weekend, maybe start tapping slowly on Monday... its still along way off up here.

Last year I did 225 trees, this year im aiming for 300+

It will be a long hard season!! I cant wait!

That thing is sweet.

This thread makes me hope I can do this one day on my own property. Hope every one has a good season.

Im not ready at all, soo im kinda thankful for this weather about now. I plan on breaking my trail this week, but I still think its gonna be a couple weeks before anything really starts flowing. A buddy of mine tapped a few trees last week, and got a bit of sap last weekend, but nothing substantial.

Im looking forward to it though. Once I see some decent temps, i'll be atter hard. Same as last year, 25 taps. Thats enough!

You guys have some nice set ups. Lakerguy, sounds like your going to have a busy season. Where abouts are you located again? I forget now.

Bring it on. I look forward to sharing stories!

S.

Im not ready at all, soo im kinda thankful for this weather about now. I plan on breaking my trail this week, but I still think its gonna be a couple weeks before anything really starts flowing. A buddy of mine tapped a few trees last week, and got a bit of sap last weekend, but nothing substantial.

Im looking forward to it though. Once I see some decent temps, i'll be atter hard. Same as last year, 25 taps. Thats enough!

You guys have some nice set ups. Lakerguy, sounds like your going to have a busy season. Where abouts are you located again? I forget now.

Bring it on. I look forward to sharing stories!

S.

Ya I think it's still a week or two here also...I'm 15 min south of Stratford

Hey Vance, you can sleep at my place in exchange for tapping work!

I wanted to tap for the first time this year, but with a kid on the way and other big things going on, it might not be my year. I'll be watching you experience tappers closely this year!

Maybe I'll do the very minimum this year just plan things out for next year.

I did this in my backyard for a few years. Have 7 big maples and got a jar or two out of it. Was mostly for my kids when they were small for fun. They still remember and talk about it.

very easy set up.

Take 2L clear pop bottles and a 4ft section of 1/2 PVC pipe

Cut the pipe in 4" length and then carefully drill a 1/2 hole into the pop bottle close to the top. Cut a thin notch in the pipe so the bottle has a notch to sit in. On the trees less than 18" diameter I only put 1 hole and in my two bigger trees I put in 2.

drill 1" into tree about waist to chest high. Push the pvc into hole and hang pop bottle. Check each day and empty into larger kettle. I'd empty and boil off every couple days and left it up my kids to check the bottles. They'd run home each day after school to see how much was collected.

Had some thick, cooled syrup on a stick at Winterlude on the canal in Ottawa.

Gotta be one of my favourite things to eat.

Bought a litre of syrup at Costco.

Any idea how much more I need to evaporate to get down to that thickness to try it here at home?

The guy in Ottawa just had a trough of snow. He made 2x4 inch 1/2 inch deep slots in the snow and poured in warm thick syrup. then used a popcycle stick to roll out the syrup on to stick.

SOOOO good. $3

Loved this thread last year and I would be happy to see everyone's journey this year too :clapping:

Shayne if you need a hand with any of yours give me a shout. I'm equally adept at sampling whiskey and working. Besides I'm almost out of the syrup you gave me last year :whistling:

Ha....the whiskey is the most expensive part of the whole process LOL

Once things are in full swing, we'll get ya out for a boil. I have some weekends off now, so its a little easier to do this socially. Last year I did it all myself, and boiled a lot of it after work. A lot of late nights. I keep saying I'm going to ramp it up, but its a lot of work, and I need a better set up for boiling. Maybe next year......I say that every year LOL

S.

Had some thick, cooled syrup on a stick at Winterlude on the canal in Ottawa.

Gotta be one of my favourite things to eat.

Bought a litre of syrup at Costco.

Any idea how much more I need to evaporate to get down to that thickness to try it here at home?

The guy in Ottawa just had a trough of snow. He made 2x4 inch 1/2 inch deep slots in the snow and poured in warm thick syrup. then used a popcycle stick to roll out the syrup on to stick.

SOOOO good. $3

Grab a candy thermometer from your local hardware store,that will help you get an idea as to when its close.

Hey Vance, you can sleep at my place in exchange for tapping work!

I wanted to tap for the first time this year, but with a kid on the way and other big things going on, it might not be my year. I'll be watching you experience tappers closely this year!

Maybe I'll do the very minimum this year just plan things out for next year.

If you have the trees close to the house, it is worth while to tap a few, just to get a feel for what your getting into. It usually averages out to about a litre of syrup per tap, so if you only tapped 10 trees, you'd have enough syrup for the year, and then some. I have one litre left from last season, but I've been hanging onto it hard. Everyone wants some, but I don't make enough to be giving too many hand outs. I'm going to start storing mine in smaller containers so I can hand more out to friends etc. this year.

Its a fun thing to do at this time of year. Not much else going on when the ice is melting.

S.