Snowmobile insurance

dhickey

So Ive had this conversation with a few people and seem to come up with different results?

Question.

Do you have to have insurance to run a sled on the ice?

I say yes because lakes are generaly regarded as public property therfore it is no different than driving your car on a road?

I have also talked to boaters that say they dont require insurance on a lake?

I can understand sled trails require insurance.

So back to the question.

Do you have to have insurance to run a sled on the ice?

.... which adds to the arguement that sleds shouldn't need to be or anything else on the ice.. it's just frozen water after all ! But try riding 50 feet without your helmut on and they'll be asking to see your insurance and ownership!

My sleds have not seen a road in the last 8 years Bill. Unloaded at my dock on the ice and reloaded on the ice at my dock. Only time they get used. So as far as I'm concerned if you're on the lake it should be no different than a boat.... especially since our local OPP and CO considering drinking a beer in your hut no different than drinking a beer in your tent on the crown shoreline.

But that said.. yah Don.. you have to have insurance.

Fairly certain only the Police... I've never been asked by CO for proof of insurance for the sled/ATV.

that's what I thought, but I also heard awhile back, that the COs were going to get the authority to check and ticket for insurance etc

Yes insurance is required while operating an ATV on the ice. Minimum requirement is liability. Yes a CO can issue a fine for not having liabilty insurance. I know this for a fact. I was fined $145.00 for not having insurance by a CO three years ago. Now I have smaretened up a bit, carry full insurance, liabilty, fire, theft, collison. Fine was $145.00, Full insurance for a full year - $360.00.

• 2 years later...

Warning: Old thread.

I got into this conversation the other day with someone; he swears up and down that if you are on a lake with a snowmobile, that you do not need insurance, just like a boat.

I would say otherwise, because who is expected to cover the lawsuit/damages when you hit a person or the sled sinks to the bottom. On the other hand, how come a boat doesn't need insurance when the same risks apply (enviro, property damage etc.)?

I'll call my insurance someday to see what they say.

Any new ideas from the community?

Its somewhat of a valid question because boats don't need insurance, right.

Also, it's more so of a public interest to have everyone insured on public land because of the costs associated with injuries or damages; if someone isn't insured, they likely can't pay out of pocket for a sled recovery or property damage or potential lawsuits without first going bankrupt. That's my take anyway

I think speed is the primary factor with snowmobiles requiring insurance. A lot of people are dead from going too fast on them, so I would think insurance claims are pretty common with snowmobilers. For what it costs me a month to insure mine, it is peace of mind at the very least. I think I only pay about $20/mo

S.