Hummingbird fishfinder

iFish4real

I'm thinking about getting a new Hummingbird for my boat. Has anybody used the new ones with Side Imaging® / Down Imaging® features (898c HD SI Combo) ? Are they worth the money or I should just go for a regular DualBeam one (858c HD XD Combo) ?

Much appreciated, thankx!!!

I have a Humminbird 798 ci HD Side and Down Imaging unit at the back of the boat. LOVE IT! Like Ben mentioned, the side imaging is invaluable once you learn to read it and adjust the settings. I actually use the Down Imaging more than the regular sonar - the detail is incredible.

Good Fishing,

Justin

From what i heard from semi pro friends, quite a bit more sophisticated... But personally i love the fact that i can buy the unit this year for cheap, and add all the fancy goodies as i can afford later on.

Comparing these two is like Ford vs GM.. One thing I've heard is that customer service from Humminbird far out does that of Lowrance.. As for the HDS7, you can get a 858c HD for $50 less at BassPro..

I've also read about the menu system on the Humminbird being quite a bit easier to use. I'll be in the market for a updated sonar this year (Currently have a 788ci), I'm thinking 898 HD SI or a 958, can't make my mind up!

Comparing these two is like Ford vs GM.. One thing I've heard is that customer service from Humminbird far out does that of Lowrance.. As for the HDS7, you can get a 858c HD for $50 less at BassPro..

I've also read about the menu system on the Humminbird being quite a bit easier to use. I'll be in the market for a updated sonar this year (Currently have a 788ci), I'm thinking 898 HD SI or a 958, can't make my mind up!

well, the 958 doesn't have the side imaging, from what I hear here that's the best feature Humminbird has. It's abt $200 less, that's true ;)

I am not familiar with both units enough to give u exact details that set them apart, but having a friend who is sponsored by Hummingbird, and buys a new hds for his personal ranger bassboat tells me a lot.

Like I said, I don't think you can go wrong with either.. All personal preference. There definitely is no outright winner with either brand.