Ganny CNR News

esoxansteel

This has been a long time coming, and for those who fish the river, you will notice that the old very outdated sign at the south side of the CNR bridge has been removed, the 20 foot section under the bridge is closed to steelhead fishing, but anglers continue to fish and harvest steelhead from under the bridge, with the sign removed it will be easier for the MNR to lay charges and to make them stick in court, with the signs removal, and i have been told that charges will now be layed for fishing under the bridge, and the area CO has been down showing presence and monitoring the area.

As Buckster says, it was pretty easy to understand the sign posted. It read to the effect of "No fishing on the "upstream" side of the CNR bridge.

I think what finally made them say enough is enough.... People were actually standing on the extreme up stream side and then casting another 20- 30 ft up from there. Their reasoning???? One guy said "well I am only casting up another few ft, it gives my float a chance to settle"....

As Buckster says, it was pretty easy to understand the sign posted. It read to the effect of "No fishing on the "upstream" side of the CNR bridge.

I think what finally made them say enough is enough.... People were actually standing on the extreme up stream side and then casting another 20- 30 ft up from there. Their reasoning???? One guy said "well I am only casting up another few ft, it gives my float a chance to settle"....

Wouldn't the regs trump the old sign?

Without actually looking it up I'm fairly confident that it's said "Southern limit of CNR right-of-way" for a while now

I guess any excuse to cheat is a good one for some people

I have fished there since I was a teenager, and can count how many times I have seen a CO there on less than 5 fingers. The removal or installation of a sign won't make a bit of difference! There will always be guys that fire their floats north of the border! Maybe they will just stop standing under the bridge! To be frank, in years of steelheading I have been checked by mnr enforcement maybe a half dozen times! Honest guys will always be honest, and shady characters will continue to do their thing! I have come to accept practically zero wildlife enforcement as just the way it is, and I no longer worry about it! I just make sure my kids know right from wrong, and that's good enough!

Although the sign was old, it still was easy to understand no?? :dunno:

I've seen lots of people fishing there over the years, but never any rods bent over

No the sign was an old wooden sign thats wethered over the 20 plus years its been their, as for the removal not makin a difference, all it takes is a few charges and the word gets out, and the issue will rectify itself, the problem that occured before was anglers continued to fish there, most knew it was closed to steelhead, but no charges were layed, and then they would pound them under the bridge, and then get on the cell phone to there buddies and the problem grew and grew, to where many fish were harvested from that area. also ive taken many pictures of anglers fishing under the bridge, and sent them to the MNR, and area biologist, along with there license plates and vehicle pictures, as others have too, expressing our concerns for fishing in this area, and the lact of enforcement regarding it, and yes the regulations will trump the old sign anyday, and the CNR right a way used to be the old wire that used to cross the river just south of the bridge, but is no longer there.

The sign wasnt removed by the MNR as far as im aware Jason, it was consistent complaing by some of us on FMZ 17, that permission was granted from the MNR to remove the sign, and your right that no charges were layed there, as the old regs and the removed sign allowed angling to the north side of the bridge, Nootch was talking to the CO for the area who you know, and his words were now with multiple complaints from concerned steelheaders, he will now address those complaints and lay charges. So we will wait and see what evolves