NF - How many of you have snow tires?

10point

My sister in law from London came down to visit last weekend. I was surprised to find out that she had snow tires on her car. We had a little disagreement about whether or not snow tires were needed. I thought everyone just used all season tires now. Is it common in Ontario for people to have 2 sets of tires per car?

When I lived in Grand Valley I had them and I have them here.

I didn't have them when I lived in Mississauga just because the roads are cleared and salted so well.

There were very few days you actually needed them there.

London does get a lot more snow than the GTA so I would expect the need for snow tires is higher.

We had this discussion a while back...

New "winter" tires are much different than older "snow" tires. Winter tires are a softer rubber compound and are VERY useful.

My little honda blasts through just about anything with a good set of winter tires, it certainly does not without them.

Depends on the car - if you drive something with AWD/4X4 then a good set of all seasons will probably work just fine.

Remember, 4x4 doesn't help you stop...

My sister in law from London came down to visit last weekend. I was surprised to find out that she had snow tires on her car. We had a little disagreement about whether or not snow tires were needed. I thought everyone just used all season tires now. Is it common in Ontario for people to have 2 sets of tires per car?

Extremely common.

I've always had winters and summers..

if you have a4x4 or awd most likely a good set of at or as tires will be ok if you drive carefully and don't live in any snow belts. I have mediocre AS tires on my liberty and its pretty squirrely in rwd but fro the amount o driving I do and living in the city, I am not going to shell out for winter tires that I would have only needed on two 8 km drives this year.

If I was a commuter in a lighter 2 wheel drive car, or lived in a snowbelt than yah I would have a dedicated set or rims and ice radials.

Have them on the car but not our van yet. Makes a world of difference if we need to go somewhere in the winter when the weather is not good (bare and dry) we use the car and park the van.

Next year we will both be back at work so winter tires will be a must in my book for both vehicles. If it saves me from one minor accident that is well worth the investment.

Edited by torco

Snows are the only way to go for most of the province and for most of the people.

I thought when we got a small awd suv that with the noisy, nobby tires that came with it we might be fine with one set. I made an appointment for winter tires after the first snow in November.

AT tires on the Jeep, all seasons on the commuter car. I have the luxury of working from home when the roads suck though (like today) - Otherwise, I'd have snows on the commuter car for sure. Wife doesn't so she takes the jeep - no issues on unplowed raods this morning but it's a Jeep and the All Terrains are pretty good. She drove past 4 cars in the ditch coming up the hill from our place. We are between Orangeville and Fergus on a dirt road in a hilly part of Ontario.

Edited by Raf

Both my vehicles are all wheel drive,one with optional 4 wheel.I drive about 70km a year.Both vehicles are all season. Never been stuck in years.The all wheel drive with all season imo,don't speed,don't be reckless,work just fine.Traction control on the 400 early this morning,never missed a beat. Snows I'm sure are better,but have not had to entertain that option yet.

Edited by davey buoy

Yes, winter tires are very common, especially north of Barrie. North of North Bay, we can legally have studs as well.

My Corolla has winters. Noticed a big difference and my summers last a couple years longer now, also once I get winter rims, my nice rims will last longer. More money up front, but definitly worth it in the long run.

My Mazda Truck has knobby mud tires and are not great on wet/ice, so I use 4x4 and drive quite slow on the highways when they are covered in snow.