Giant Blue Fin Tuna - Nova Scotia (Sept. 2012)

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

Was fortunate and excited to get an invite to tag along on a charter for Giant Blue Fin Tuna this past September while vacationing in Nova Scotia. Two words describe my experience - extreme and adventure.

Was definitely a thrill to be along for the ride (although as you can see from the start of the video, the ride was a slight bit choppy on the way out to the fishing grounds!)

Was also cool to have a CBC producer and camera man out on the boat, filming the action for an episode of Land and Sea.

This charter was a bit different than most, as on this day, the boat was out to catch and keep one of two fish they are allowed to each season. (The norm is one fish - the captain won the lottery to keep a second.)

Here is a short video I filmed out in the boat showcasing the action.

Good Fishing,

Justin

P.S. sorry, no idea how to embed the video directly into this post.

Thanks, Roy...will give that a try next time.

HTHM - Same guy fought it for the entire three hours. I think it is an unwritten rule with tuna fishing that when you take the rod, you are in it for the long haul. Also, this situation was quite different. The average fight is in the neighbourhood of 30 minutes long. The insane current, waves, etc., was what caused this to drag on (no pun intended) for 3 hours. They actually have quite strict rules regarding tuna fishing. You cannot fight a fish longer than one hour. At the one hour mark, the line must be cut. Since this was going to be a harvested fish, they can fight it for as long as needed. Unfortunate that it ended the way it did.

I felt so bad for this guy. We've all had that unmistakable sight and sound of fishing line breaking. Compound that by 100 after battling for three hours. No one really said much to the guy when it happened - he took a few minutes to himself, took a well deserved drink, but did laugh and say, "that's fishing." Funny, the most pain he felt was in his butt/legs. He didn't sit down for at least an hour or two afterwards. And this was a fair-sized guy.

For those interested in watching the Land and Sea episode that CBC filmed on that outing and a couple of others, here is a link to the show. I'm the guy in the camo suit - although if you blink a couple of times, you'll miss me, lol!

http://www.cbc.ca/landandsea/2013/01/tuna-fishery.html

Cheers,

Justin

Hey Pierre - Definitely a tuna. Was seen multiple times. It was as close to the boat as the leader a number of times, but then just took off. As the captain put it, because of the wind and drift of the boat, it was more the elements that the angler was fighting, and not the fish. He stated that the fish was using all of these to its advantage - and ultimately succeeded.

They estimated it at 1,000+ lbs.

Cheers,

Justin

Hey Pierre - If my memory serves me correctly, the line was 100lb test. Dacron I think. Unsure of the leader, but I believe it was 50 feet long.

They used a few tactics when I was out (I was actually in the boat two days.) Still fishing with balloons or plastic pop bottles with bait a few feet down. If a fish was spotted on sonar (such as this fish was) they lowered a bait down to that depth. They also used a "kite" that would fly in the air, and would position the bait just inches below the surface - quite a distance from the boat.

Chumming is constant throughout the day. Mackeral is caught live on the way out to the fishing grounds with rods.

Here are a few images of the set ups used:

Tuna1_zps6b27a24f.jpg

Tuna2_zpse8be6315.jpg

Tuna3_zps8dcc2b30.jpg

Good Fishing,

Justin