skidoo starting question

mr blizzard

Hope everyones seaon is going well

Got a polaris 2 up 500 electric very well looked after, put a new battery in but the starter spins but will not slide out to engage the flywheel. What is also weird is the kill switch will not shut the machine off after pull starting, AND the ignition key will not shut it off, All the wires seem tight,

Any thoughts are appreciated as we have guests visiting from PEI

Blizz

I believe that you will find that one of the ground wires has come off. I had the same problem with a Polaris. If memory serves me, the ground wire was on the Mag side of the engine and down low near the mounts. Once that was hooked back up, kill switch functions properly. As for the starter not engaging, sound like a different problem all together if it is spinning but not engaging...

Good luck, let us know how you make out

Cheers

Craig

Sandbag and Purenewf you were right on the money, even with the snow falling we were able to blow the snow off and trace the wiring and at minus 50 windchills I know I can start a Polaris, my neighbour has a skidoo........he does not have the same bragging rights .........arctic tested....... :whistling::whistling::whistling: even on a pull start lol but true.

With respect to the starter not elevating to engage the flywheel, I had a 96 mariner 30hp outboard with this same issue in cold weather. I would sometimes have to stick a screwdriver under it and push up while hitting the starter... Always interesting! A complete disassembly and degrease, followed up by light oil lube was the eventual cure. I guess there was some grease in there that gummed up badly in cold weather???? As for the wiring, I have no idea sorry.