looking at getting a new outboard opinions please.

pike slayer

i have a 12' tinner with a 1999 9.9hp Evinrude. I was thinking about buying a new lighter low fumes 4stroke motor. theres lots of brands out there and don't know much about them. my buddy has a little mercury 3.5hp and that little thing flies i say goes just as fast as a 7hp 2stroke, burns hardly any fuel. i want something with close to the same top speed as my 9.9hp but can still idle down and troll nice and slow oh and quietly to. i was thinking around a 5hp 4stroke with external tank?? your opinions please! ohhh and if anybody is interested in my motor msg me. im in sault ste. marie ontario

For Small outboards you can't really go wrong with any of the brands for these sizes .For quiet go with a honda or yamaha for power and ultimate reliability go mercury,evinrude tohatsu (tohatsu makes all these motors under 25hp). An outboard is as good as its owner, As long as you do proper maintenance they will all last forever. I just upgraded this spring as well. I had a 25 year old 15 evinrude that's still running pretty strong with almost 3000 hours use on it, but I bought a new boat this spring too so I decided to upgrade the motor too. I ended up picking up a 20hp 4 stroke Merc and I'm licking my chomps waiting to use it this summer now.

I used a new Merc 4 hp four stroke a couple years ago and didn't think it was anywhere close in performance to a 6 hp, twin cyl., 2 stroke, I'm not sure you'll be happy with the performance of a 5 hp and pretty sure the top speed won't be close to your 9.9

super fuel economy for sure though on a 5 hp 4 stroke

For Small outboards you can't really go wrong with any of the brands for these sizes .For quiet go with a honda or yamaha for power and ultimate reliability go mercury,evinrude tohatsu (tohatsu makes all these motors under 25hp). An outboard is as good as its owner, As long as you do proper maintenance they will all last forever. I just upgraded this spring as well. I had a 25 year old 15 evinrude that's still running pretty strong with almost 3000 hours use on it, but I bought a new boat this spring too so I decided to upgrade the motor too. I ended up picking up a 20hp 4 stroke Merc and I'm licking my chomps waiting to use it this summer now.

Tohatsu manufactures the motors for other brands you mean? Or they also offer a line of motors under 25hp?

I drove a boat with a 9.9 Tohatsu last summer and I think rowing might have been more efficient. That thing was completely useless.

You will add more weight to maintain the same horsepower.
There are no smaller engines that will perform as well as your 9.9.

I'd suggest using a better quality oil and stick to proper mixing.

Also, most 4 strokes the same HP will not go as slow as the 9.9.

The only advantage you may gain is less emmissions and fuel economy.
But the 9.9 isn't all that bad on fuel anyway.

Great little engines. Keep it in tune and maintain it properly and it should serve you well for a long time.

Tohatsu manufactures the motors for other brands you mean? Or they also offer a line of motors under 25hp? I drove a boat with a 9.9 Tohatsu last summer and I think rowing might have been more efficient. That thing was completely useless.

Tohatsu makes the motors for mercury,evinrude, nissan for under 25hp or under 30 not too sure. Thats unfortunate you must have gotten a lemon, because Tohatsu is recognized worldwide as the most reliable motor made.

My 9.9hp runs like a top. i maintain it , i get it tuned up every spring. The motor is now what like 14years old. im looking to upgrade to something new and better. i dont have a trailer just put the boat in the back of my truck and put the motor in the boat so im constantly carrying it around. so im looking for something reasonably light, the trolls good and has close to the same power.

My 9.9hp runs like a top. i maintain it , i get it tuned up every spring. The motor is now what like 14years old. im looking to upgrade to something new and better. i dont have a trailer just put the boat in the back of my truck and put the motor in the boat so im constantly carrying it around. so im looking for something reasonably light, the trolls good and has close to the same power.

Ah I do alot of that kind of fishing too, which is why Im keeping my old evinrude 15. If you're looking for newer and always going to be removing it, look for one of the newer yamaha 2 strokes. I know a lot of people that have em and they have no complaints. Easy to carry around, don't have to worry about what position you store it, easy maintenance ect.

Ah I do alot of that kind of fishing too, which is why Im keeping my old evinrude 15. If you're looking for newer and always going to be removing it, look for one of the newer yamaha 2 strokes. I know a lot of people that have em and they have no complaints. Easy to carry around, don't have to worry about what position you store it, easy maintenance ect.

As Tayzak15 mentioned about the position of the motor. You must remember that a 4 stroke must be stored only on the one side that is stated on the motor, because of oil in the crank case. You lay it on the wrong side and your in trouble. Edited by Fish Farmer

You will never match the top speed of the motor you currently have, unless as mentioned you go with a Yamaha 2 stroke. The 4's are heavier, and often don't have the same bottom end as a 2 stroke. The motor you have is (or should be if its been treated well) very reliable, and reasonably light! I have a 1996 Evinrude 15hp as well as a 2001 Nissan 9.8 2 stroke, and I wouldn't trade either of them for a modern 4 for the purposes I use my motors! If I wanted to troll all day, then maybe, but for the relatively minor cost of fuel in this engine size, and the weight and performance advantages of a 2 stroke, I think you may be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I also use synthetic oil in my outboards and that cuts down on fumes somewhat! If I where you and had money burning a hole in my pocket for a newer outboard, I would buy the Yamaha 2 stroke!

Yeah if you need portibility absolutely stick with what you have and if you really want new get the Yamaha 2 stroke. Only reason I upgraded to a 4 was because the new boat I bought I decided to go with a long transom, its staying mounted on the back of this boat, I got a really good deal on a lightly used one and I do, do a lot of trolling. When I need to upgrade my 15 evinrude for my 12 foot car topper I will absolutely be in the market for a 2 stroker.

thanks guys. i might just keep what i have. i was hoping for some magic motor that is just plain all around awesome. and i was looking at the yamis and they are a 4stroke that you can store different ways and not spill it.

I also would say just keep what you have.

No point spending $3k to end up with less than what you have now.

If you do get a new one, I am interested in the 9.9

Edited by Dara

I also wouldn't worry about the noise of the motor... Unless it bothers you... Cause fish generally don't care....

I have a walleye spot I fish that's only about 3 feet deep... Trolled it with my old 2 stroke and always got fish.... Tried an electric motor without any noticeable difference in fish caught....

im not worried about being quiet for the fishes sack but for me to enjoy nature with having to listen to an engine and yes i have a minn kota.
dara if i do end up getting a new motor you can have first dibs at my 9.9. If you are looking for a motor my buddy has a mid 90's 15hp evinrude. its the exact same motor has the 9.9hp but has different carbs and muffler. it trolls down the same as mine but it has wayyy more top end. the last time i talked to him he was looking to get around $350. he wants that little because he dropped it and snapped off the handle with the throttle and has no desire or time to get around to fixing it.