Bush Country Camp in Quebec

Lunkerhunter

A few friends and I are looking to head to quebec for a fishing trip this summer and i was hoping to get some information or feedback from everyone on a place we are currently looking at.

It is called Bush Country Camp and it is situated on an island inside the Kipawa Reserve on Lac Sasseginega.

has anyone been to this camp before? what about the area? any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

From what I know they're a good operator...basic set-up, and getting to the camp is a bit of a hassle, but worth it I've heard. Lots of info on BCC and fishing that area of Quebec on kipawa.net. Several of the posters there go to BCC every year, and many have been to that camp before. Why Sesseginega versus Kipawa, Ogascanan, or others around there? Just interested.

Good luck...

Kipawa.com

Visit this web sight, your camp has an ad there. Lots of info re Kipawa area. My camp is about 40k. south, near Red Pine Chute. I have nothing but great things to say about this area. Great fishing, great people , and beautiful country. Let us know how your trip went, when you get back. Oh....don't tell anyone else! Let's just keep it between you and me. :whistling:

From what I know they're a good operator...basic set-up, and getting to the camp is a bit of a hassle, but worth it I've heard. Lots of info on BCC and fishing that area of Quebec on kipawa.net. Several of the posters there go to BCC every year, and many have been to that camp before. Why Sesseginega versus Kipawa, Ogascanan, or others around there? Just interested.

Good luck...

Hey T-Bone! I think you're on the wrong board! :sarcasm: haha. Good to see you chiming in.

hey T-Bone, the guys i am going with went to kipawa last year and wanted to try something different this year. this lodge was suggested by one of there buddies etc etc.

thanks for the info kipawa jim. appreciate it. we are looking forward to the trip this year.

looking like it will be for first week of June. i would imagine the northerns will still be pretty shallow in the weedy bays? any suggestions for the lakers? apparently there is a good laker lake just north of Sesseginega that we would have access too. i would think they would be pretty shallow as well that time of year.

also i noticed we cant use live minnows on these lakes, are worms and leeches good enough for the walleye? worth bringing any salted minnows or similar?

feel free to pm if you would prefer.

cheers and thanks again

Edited by Lunkerhunter

A really good friend of mine and one of the best anglers I know fished Sasseginaga for 10 straight years staying in one of Wally Mullen's boat in outpost camps.

They always went in August which would undoubtedly be much different than early June. Neverheless he always told me he liked it a lot, beautiful scenery, large beautiful lake with VERY clear water. Fishing was always just "okay" in his words and the fish required work to catch. I distictly remember him telling me he'd located an untapped population of larger fish roaming deep water suspended chasing baitfish. He used planer boards a lot up there with great success trolling for those fish.

That said he stopped going 2 years ago after I introduced him to Abamasagi lake just north of Nakina. He's been there twice now for 10 days. Longer drive, but walleye fishing in an entirely other class compared to Sasseganaga and cheaper rates.

I've been fishing Kipawa for 13-years and have never needed anything but a crawler or leeches and a few crank baits. As for taking your boat in there, I think it's a long, rough-ride from Temiscaming into the lake. Again, the kipawa.net discussion board has plenty of people that have been into BCC and know the road well enough to advise whether taking a boat into there is a good idea or not.

Early-June...you'll be into the bugs heavy, but I'm sure you know that. As for lakers, we've caught them pretty shallow that time of year...20-25 fow on Kipawa. Not sure what kind of pike lake Sesseginega is, but I would imagine you're right...still shallow.

And K-Jim...apparently I get around...just like you... :) . I love fishing and love the north...where else would you expect to find me in February?

I was there about 4 yrs ago. We were the first guests of the season. we were there opening day. We had a nice cabin on the island and lots of room for the six of us. I would say accomodations were good. We brought our own boats and trailered in from Tamiscaming. We took a 16 foot tinny with a 50 and a kicker and also brought our own grub. They also offer the american plan for those that like to have someone cook for them.

We gave it a try instead if going back to Kikwissi as Serge's rates on Kikwissi were getting to expensive. The last time we went to Kikwissi we camped on a island and serge wasn't to impressed. The owner told us fishing would be tough since the ice was out for only a week or so but we did okay. Lots of small walleye for fish fry dinners daily. The Northern fishing was good we had two over 40" on the first day. I remember talking to the owner and he said the best time for big Northerns is in august when there all on the main lake structure. He said 30 lb Northerns are caught every year at that time.

Lake Trout fishing is really good on this lake as well. Lots of big fish. The owner was really helpfull telling us where to fish for different species. Its a beautiful lake, and if your a hardcore fisherman you will enjoy figuring it out. We had to work hard for our fish. On a side note if your traiering in your own boat take your time driving in or you will bust your trailer up. I think it took us about 3 or 4 hrs to drive in from Tamiskaming but hey its all part of the road trip. Bring tools, spare tires, jacks etc cause it sucks if you have trailer issues and dont have the tools to fix it. We always had at least one issue with a trailer on any given trip to Kikwissi which is not far away from Sass. flat tire, broken bunks etc, just go real slow and if your traler is in good shape you should be fine. I would definitely go there again since it is only 6 or 7 hrs drive from my home.