Bass Rods...suggestions?

kemper

Hey OFC,

I'm looking to restock my bass rod selection for this summer. I'll be building the rods myself, but I'm looking for features that are "must haves" on your rods.

I've been so caught up in the steelhead thing for the past few years I haven't really kept up with the new innovations in bassin'.

I'm going to start with a flipping stick, and a 7' utility stick for spinnerbaits/cranks etc.

Split grip/no split grip?

Micro guides?

Cork or EVA?

Specific actions you like?

Reel seat style?

I'm open to any and all suggestions - slate is blank right now.

Thanks!

Pitching/Flipping and Frog rod.

I would go with a 7'2 ft heavy blank. Cork handles. One mod would be a full sized fore grip with an oversized diameter. Something I can wrap my whole hand around when dragging in 30lbs of weed a 3lb fish.

I've purchased a whole lot of cork lately, and I can see why rod companies have moved away from it.

Even low grade cork is insanely expensive - unless you are ordering mass quantities you can expect anywhere between $0.85 and $2.00 per ring (thats half an inch worth of handle).

Any thoughts on microguides guys?

I love my cork, and full grips, but it is becoming more expensive due to demand out pacing the supply. It's easy for manufacturers to keep prices and wieght down by using less cork, ie split grip. Some manufacturers have lost me as a potential buyer because they do not offer any cork handles at the higher price points.

I just picked up a 7' med/hvy garcia veritas with micro guides. Got it for $79 at ctc but then got back $8 cdn tire money for the price match. Very light rod. Matched it with a Quantum PT energy baitcaster. Can't wait to use it.

If I was building my own, I would build a 7.5ft, full cork handles, fast/extra fast action, heavy, for a flippin stick. For spinnerbaits and cranks I usually have a rod for each. But since your building a utility rod I would go with a 7ft, med action, med weight. I haven't tried micro's but have heard alot of good things about them. Hey why not put a set of micro's on that flippin stick, you just might be suprised. And if you dont like it strip it down and put regular guides on.

Hey Kemper, if you need a field tester for your creations, I'm available. :good:

Heres my recomendations.

For bass fishing you really do need a couple of rods for different applications.

I personally like longer rods but thats just my preferance because Im 6'3"

I would suggest the following

7'2 or 7'5 MH or H flipping stick for jigs, creature baits and can also double as a frog rod

6'6 or 7' MH Extra fast casting for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits

6'6 or 7' Med. fast casting for topwater, jerkbaits, cranks

7'MH spinning rod for senkos, tubes, grubs ect....

These 4 rods should cover everything you need.

As for grips,its personal preferance. I like the split grips but do like cork better than the foam.

When the foam gets fish slime on it, it gets really slippery.

Some may say that you only need one rod, but would you tell a golfer he only needs one club ?

No comment on blank choice Kemp but I'll state straight up, foam grips, way wrong! Split grips, again way wrong!

Custom means not having to shave off a few dollars and cents to make it look like factory produced crap! :whistling:

Agreed Chris - just wanted to ask the jury what they thought of the foam. Personally, I can't stand it!

could also go play with all the rods at gagnons to get a feel for you like, my best feeling rod to me is st.croix in legend tournment with a core mvf i can pitch this rod all day comfy and light, for tubes and jigs its an avid in 6'8" med extra fast with a core 50 again light as air and comfy all cork handles,

Best part of a custom rod is build it to what you like and I am sure reams of good advice here

I don't mind foam one bit. I also really enjoy cork.

Buy a st Croix avid or shimano cumara

Not looking to buy, I haven't purchased a factory rod since I started building my own 3 years ago.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm thinking the bait casters are going to be full cork with one micro guides and one traditional guides. I'm also gonna do two spinning rods, split grip with cork instead of foam.

I prefer cork split grips. I find it more comfortable to hold

Dan the problem I have with split grips on casting rods is the way I hold the rod when casting.

I don't have my bottom hand right at the very bottom, so it makes it awkward because I have my hand half on and half off the bottom knob.

Dan the problem I have with split grips on casting rods is the way I hold the rod when casting. I don't have my bottom hand right at the very bottom, so it makes it awkward because I have my hand half on and half off the bottom knob.

Makes sense, I cast with my left hand right on the end, so the split grip gives me something more comfortable to grip. If I casted like you I definitely would not have split grip.

Makes sense, I cast with my left hand right on the end, so the split grip gives me something more comfortable to grip. If I casted like you I definitely would not have split grip.

Do you switch hands with a baitcaster? I do...might be why I don't reach right to the bottom with my left when casting?

I've never really thought about it too much, but noticed right away when I bought a split grip caster a couple years ago