Tournament Sponsors?

mike rousseau

Just wondering if anyone has any connections or advice on how to get a company to sponsor a tournament....

My brother and I are trying to grow our local walleye tournament.... Currently we get 20-30 boats....

We are only 1 hour from Montreal and Ottawa....

We are hoping if we can get a big name tackle company to "sponsor" the tournament in any way it will help with advertising and drawing in more anglers....

You know like the "Rapala walleye challenge"

Then maybe guys will travel a bit and more locals will get excited....

Any advice would be appreciated...

Edited by Mike Rousseau

The best way to approach a (possible) sponsor is no by saying what could you do for them and not what they could do for you

Ok

Well I guess it would be exposure through our advertising flyers and signage at the tournament... Give them an opportunity to show community support and help support the people that buy their products...

I guess I'm looking for advice where to start....

I'm not looking to get a boat donated... Lol...

Just hoping for some door prizes(sponsors products) and banners.... And then see where it goes....

Edited by Mike Rousseau

Might be hard to land a company like Rapala on the first shot, but there are lots of smaller fish out there that are looking for exposure.

As wallyboss said, what you can bring them is the key!

I just used Rapala as an example...

When you guys are saying to focus on what "we" can offer "them" .... What kinds of things are you referring too???... This is the sort of advice I need...

Thanks

Keep it coming

I have no experience in landing company sponsors for fishing tournaments, so I'm guessing here but...

Big tackle companies have their pick when it comes to sponsorship opportunities, they are likely getting knocks on the door every day.

If I'm Rapala or Shimano or whoever, I want to sponsor the tourney that's going to benefit ME the most. Could be audience, exposure, radio air time, local TV spot who knows?

Signage,flyers,community support............ that lumps you in with everybody good for 10 bags of worms.

Is it live release.

Do you have a release boat.

What are your growth prospects.

And the big one how many views will your radio spots have. Will there be T.V. how many views. How much product will be sold from this sponcership. What sportsman shows will you attend how many people.

Lot's of bass tournament series have went 10-15 years and never land a big sponcer.

It's a lot of work. It really depends on what you want to do with this tourney. Do you just want to make it big or do you want to make it good. You'll need to know and understand how tournaments work. Don't start with tackle manufacturers. They are the zebra mussels of the tourney world. You'll need a boat manufacturer, an outboard manufacturer and a big name or two in fishing pros. Once you have that, the rest will be attracted like magnets. It'll cost you money the first years.

Mike,

You have to understand that every tackle company gets hit up at least once a week by some guy asking them to sponsor their event, or them personally. Bigger companies like Shimano and Rapala get hit so hard they actually have to pay someone a full time salary to just read through all the requests - I mean thousands of them every year. There's only so much money to go around, so you have to tell them why they should support your event. What's in it for them? If they give you money or free stuff, what do they get in return? How does it make good business sense for them to support your group?

If you can't answer those questions, you're dead in the water.

Think it over - carefully - and put together a solid proposal that tells the company who you are, what your event is all about, why its important, how many people it can influence, and why they should care. Tell them what you want, and then tell them what they get In return. Remember the 5 Ws you would have learned in high school English class? That's who, what, when, when and why ... your pitch should answer them all. It's really as simple as that.

Most companies will want a 10:1 return on investment. So if they give you $100 worth of stuff, they will expect a minimum of $1,000 in value from you in return. That's the going rate. Exposure is nice, but lets face it, more people have heard of Rapala than have ever heard of your tournament. They already have more exposure than you can provide. So you should think about what they have that doesn't get exposure. Is it a specific product that's particularly suited to your event? Or do you instead approach the company through their local dealer, who probably can use the extra exposure. That's how the tournament guys get their boats and motors ... It's usually through the local dealer. Why do you think even big name US guys like Hank Parker and Tommy Manns have some marina decal on the side of their boat? It's all part of the deal.

Figure out who can use the exposure, then show them how sponsoring your event can help them sell more stuff. At the end of that day, that's what it's all about.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Personal connections don't mean squat.This is business. Your talking about getting a chunk of some company's promo budget. Spending company money on "personal connections" is a good way for a guy to get fired. There has to be a solid business case, regardless of who you know.

Good luck.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Mike,

You have to understand that every tackle company gets hit up at least once a week by some guy asking them to sponsor their event, or them personally. Bigger companies like Shimano and Rapala get hit so hard they actually have to pay someone a full time salary to just read through all the requests - I mean thousands of them every year. There's only so much money to go around, so you have to tell them why they should support your event. What's in it for them? If they give you money or free stuff, what do they get in return? How does it make good business sense for them to support your group?

Think it over - carefully - and put together a solid proposal that tells the company who you are, what your event is all about, why its important, how many people it can influence, and why they should care. Tell them what you want, and then tell them what they get In return. Remember the 5 Ws you would have learned in high school English class? That's who, what, when, when and why ... your pitch should answer them all. It's really as simple as that.

Most companies will want a 10:1 return on investment. So if they give you $100 worth of stuff, they will expect a minimum of $1,000 in value from you in return. That's the going rate. Exposure is nice, but lets face it, more people have heard of Rapala than have ever heard of your tournament. They already have more exposure than you can provide. So you should think about what they have that doesn't get exposure. Is it a specific product that's particularly suited to your event? Or do you instead approach the company through their local dealer, who probably can use the extra exposure. That's how the tournament guys get their boats and motors ... It's usually through the local dealer. Why do you think even big name US guys like Hank Parker and Tommy Manns have some marina decal on the side of their boat? It's all part of the deal.

Figure out who can use the exposure, then show them how sponsoring your event can help them sell more stuff. At the end of that day, that's what it's all about.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Personal connections don't mean that much. This is business. Your talking about getting a chunk of some company's promo budget. Spending company money on "personal connections" is generally grounds to be fired. There has to be a solid business case, regardless of who you know.

Wow thanks

Great info here...

When I was a kid everything was sponsored... This tourney used to be the "Labatts' walleye masters" when I was a kid and drew in anglers from all around...

I know a guy that even won a truck in a local tournament.... Better economy then I guess....

Well at least I have a starting point.... Prepare my numbers and make well thought out pitches to a bunch of companies... And try to connect their product and sales to the tournament....

Mike,

Oh yeah, one more thing. Personal connections don't mean squat.This is business. Your talking about getting a chunk of some company's promo budget. Spending company money on "personal connections" is a good way for a guy to get fired. There has to be a solid business case, regardless of who you know.

Good luck.

That is the answer that you were looking for right there.

Just a note - when I suggested personal connections might help it certainly wasn't to say that it would influence the decision. It can (and often does, in any type of business) get your proposal into the hands of the person who needs to read it.

Just a note - when I suggested personal connections might help it certainly wasn't to say that it would influence the decision. It can (and often does, in any type of business) get your proposal into the hands of the person who needs to read it.

Absolutely correct. But it is amazing how many people would believe otherwise, and who think that simply "knowing a guy who works there" is all it takes.

Well said Craig.

Sponsorship is an awful word. It is more a business parntership or an employment agreement.

If I can add a little something to the mix, go outside the fishing industry. Keep it local if you can - Coffee shops, insurance brokerages, large manufacturing corporation in town etc..

If you are looking for little grab bags items just ask around. You should get them.

Things are way different now a days then even 10 years ago. Things are tight.

Focusing outside the industry is a better use of you time for the T you are pitching. IMO.

Garnets right too... very small.

Good Luck,

Edited by Harrison

To add... something else you have in your pocket if I remember correctly is you are a licensed guide.

When I was going thru all this hoopla years ago I pitched a large Gas company. They were semi intetested in what I was throwing at them, but as soon as I uped the ante with a few guided trips for them and their clients....bingo.

It turned from only advertising budget to including funds from other budgets. Easier to swallow for them.

So there's a tip, hold that in your back pocket to use if needed ;)

Edited by Harrison

To add... something else you have in your pocket if I remember correctly is you are a licensed guide.

When I was going thru all this hoopla years ago I pitched a large Gas company. They were semi intetested in what I was throwing at them, but as soon as I uped the ante with a few guided trips for them and their clients....bingo.

It turned from only advertising budget to including funds from other budgets. Easier to swallow for them.

So there's a tip, hold that in your back pocket to use if needed ;)

That's a bit of a grey area...

I've been doing training courses for my new job and offering free guided trips for tournament funding/sponsorship might not look to good from an outsider standpoint... this can also get the person deciding whether or not to donate in trouble because a guided day of fishing is valuable enough to be considered a bribe... If they accept a "gift" of that value and it influences where they spend advertising money from their company.... That's bad news...

That's a bit of a grey area...

I've been doing training courses for my new job and offering free guided trips for tournament funding/sponsorship might not look to good from an outsider standpoint... this can also get the person deciding whether or not to donate in trouble because a guided day of fishing is valuable enough to be considered a bribe... If they accept a "gift" of that value and it influences where they spend advertising money from their company.... That's bad news...

I'll take a stab.... to clarify... you offer the "corporation" not the "person" as part of the "Business Agreement" package.

Edited by Harrison

This kind of arrangement can take two different shapes. What Harrison is describing is a "value-add," where a day on the water with you is included as part of the total value package you give the sponsor in exchange for their support. Remember what I wrote earlier about how if you want $100 worth of stuff, then they'll want $1,000 worth of value from you? Well, a guided trip with you counts against that $1,000 in value you need to provide. The company can then do whatever they like with it. The marketing guy may take the trip with you himself, in order to get to know you better and strengthen your business relatonship (exactly as Garnet says - just like a golf game). Or they may donate the fishing trip to charity and you wind up taking out a kid or a contest winner. It's up to the sponsor to decide how they use the trip.

The other way this sort of thing can work is through something called "market familiarization." In this case, the fishing trip with you would happen before they decide to actually sponsor the tournament. They accept the trip with you to see for themselves if fishing really is a viable fit with what they're trying to do. If this is the case, you want to give them a trip that will be as similar to the tournament as possible ... i.e. fish for the same species, and in the same area. It's not likely to happen with a tackle company or a tackle dealer, since they already know the market. But if you approach a restaurant or a hotel for sponsorship, you may need to show them what it's all about. Seeing your boat and tackle helps demonstrate how much money people spend to go fishing, and the knowledge you have shows that people will spend a lot of time on the water to gain that kind of knowledge. You're trying to show them that fishermen have money to spend, and can be convinced to spend it at their business ...... and that by sponsoring the tournament, fishermen will see their company's name and be enticed to go check them out.

It's not a nudge-nudge-wink-wink thing at all. This is the way many industries work.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I have been doing fishing derby for children now for about 10 yrs with all the same sponsors that come up with small prizes for the kids in return I make sure we have a banner up promoting there company and I ask the parents to please remember who sponsored your kids and please when buying fishing equipment by their products,,, always looking for more prizes now with over 100 kids its getting tough but every kid leaves with some prizes, even if its in a grab bag.. Any sponsers out there want to donate or any tournament guy want to come hand out prizes or talk to kids...??? :worthy: Iam looking.... :whistling: .. contact me... :angel: