Any Sportsman reveiws?

I was going to wait for spring boat/fishing but Have an invite for a free ride to the Sportsman show Sunday morn.

Anyone find any good deals to be had or your general feedback of the show i haven't attended one for years.

thanks

LeBaron has a good deal on last years Shimano reels. Saharas for $61. Symemtres for $69 of all sizes. Best deal of the show IMO. Also found some St. Croix rods for between $90-100. Other then that you get the regular. Not that much ice fishing stuff which is disapointing based on the time of the year.

It used to be an amazing event, well worth travelling to back when I was a kid.

My buddy just went. Said he spent more and saw better deals at Fishing World on the way home.

Sounds like it has taken a downslide. Though it looked pretty interesting on all the CH morning news casts. Didn't have time off to check it out myself this year. Haven't been for about 6 years... Last time was a letdown for me.

To bad,we cant say what really think. But then again,the days have gone by,and it,s not like it use to be. I blame tree huggers.

:whistling:

Point well made..... and understood

Me too on a personal level- The Tree Hugger demographic

Here's the thing of it:

Walter Oster and Crew are not afraid of feedback as i understand it ?

Have nothing to sell--no agenda for this dude-zero political aspirations

The Good-The Bad and The Ugly-go for it

Thing of it is:

You realize i hope--given this challanging economy--that The Toronto Sportmen's Shows are Philanthropic-Driven

Due your due dillegence

Goes back into stuff like 'Take A Kid Fishing'--Salmon Habitat--etc.

Let it fly

More feedback the better maybe ?

Don't feel handcuffed

Food for Thought

Paul

oops--sea a lock comming here

oops--sea a lock comming here

You seem to have a way with the words, I dont sea a lock.LOL

Those of us that got to go to the REAL show,back when,and get to see it now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MY OH MY.

This is not a dish to those that were not back when,but what you all see today,might be exciting to you,but theres no,(im going to spell this wrong) carizma,magical ,chill tingling,cant wait to go.. I felt alive when I was a kid going to the show with my pop,and brothers and sis. Mudder stayed home. It was like christmas.

Why do I feel like Im repeating myself?

Edited by Misfish

Those of us that got to go to the REAL show,back when,and get to see it now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MY OH MY.

This is not a dish to those that were not back when,but what you all see today,might be exciting to you,but theres no,(im going to spell this wrong) carizma,magical ,chill tingling,cant wait to go.. I felt alive when I was a kid going to the show with my pop,and brothers and sis. Mudder stayed home. It was like christmas.

Me mudder and grandmudder would lead the charge to the show. THey loved everything about the old show.

The show was just the same as it has always been. Great!

Lots to see and people to talk to. The odd deal if that is what you are after (tax free at some places, etc).

I don't really know what people are after - it is not 1962 anymore at the show or anywhere else. I am sure that reviews will be fantastic for the bargain bin crowd next weekend at the free parking and all the smokes you can smoke event known as the Spring Fishing and Low Budget Boating Show.

Go, you won't be disappointed.

Jim

LOL MS

I see:

Someone had their afternoon nap today and is @ the top of there game

Hope to see your charasmatic self at the French Family Event in Innisfil

You're a classic dude --and i mean that in the nicest way possible..lol

Take Care

Paul and Crew

'Take A Kid Fishing'

This is what started my day when we arrived, you've got to be kidding me.

Sign_zps1a5cb82f.jpg

After getting inside my buddy says 19 bucks to get in, I said right, your joking, then I looked at the sign and I couldn't believe myself, "19 BUCKS to get in the door to save a few bucks to buy something. 33 dollars down just to get in the door. Now I tell myself it's a day out. I walked around looking at a few tackle dealers and a bunch of fill-ins T-shirts and Hot-tube booths. I went there to look at fishing boat but I was disappointed in the models they had. I bought a few lures, buddy's didn't buy a thing just looked. They suggested to go for a beer and some pizza in the refreshment area. 8 something for a beer and 4 something a slice of pizza. A lady comes over and asks if we mine helping with a customer survey about the show, buddy's said Dave, you tell her. I told her I wasn't blaming her that she didn't have nothing to do about the pricing but did I fill her in at the table, she liked my input being honest also the people around me at the tables had a great laugh and said that I was right, they also said they would never come back. I ask myself whats wrong with the people that run the Sportsman Show. They must know something to send people to do a survey. Been a few years since I went to the show and I said then, I'd never go back, now I'll be under the sod before I ever set foot there.

Guy told me how much they pay for a booth. No wonder it's going down the pipe.

Edited by Fish Farmer

You summed up my feeling exactly Dave.

I went to the show for many many years, waaaay back infact, but 3 or 4 years ago I'd had enough and said I'd never return. Used to be I could spend an entire day there looking at stuff and yakkin with folks but the last couple trips I'd see everything in 2 hours and be heading home.

Not nearly as much stuff as they used to have and the prices have gotten ridiculous.

The Spring Show is nice with the free parking, but last time I was there they wanted $3.50 for a crummy bottle of water.

I haven't been back there for a couple years either.

I've only been going for the last decade or so and I definitely have seen the drop in deal shopping. I use to go with a list of what I needed for the spring but now adays with the internet, the bass pro sale, lebarons matching at their stores and so on it's really not worth it as a shopping trip. That said I still enjoy it for a few things:

1) Talking to the guys working the floors - be it talking rod and reel choices, boat options, etc. I enjoy hearing their opinions (even if half the time they're just trying to sell their goods)

2) Seeing the talks - Took in Big Jim's talk yesterday, nothing earth shattering but still fun listening to him tell stories. Saw Bob Izumi but there was a huge line up so didn't stick around. It would be nice if they had more demos though (think the fishing show at the airport was better for that)

3) Archery and gun range: It's my wife excuse to shoot things. She can't stand the idea of hunting but man does she get excited to shoot.

4) The birds are always fun to see up close

5) Talking to the outfitters - we hooked up with one there a few years ago so it's a tradition to stop by his booth and see how things are going

So it's basically the same reasons we go to the Royal Agricultural Fair every year - seeing stuff you don't normally on a Saturday and for that it can be fun (is it worth $55 to park and get in for 2 - not quite sure). Is it a good shopping trip - not at all.

I don't think there has been a show that topped the old ones at the International Center on Dixon Rd across from the airport.. When I as a kid, I looked forward to this show as much as Xmas! I could go there with $20 and comeback with so much stuff. Try and do that today, lol.

Was there yesterday, drove from London as I do every year for the past 30+, still a great way to spend the day with the kids despite the cost. If you buy tickets in advance they are only $16 and no waiting in line (they have this deal every year online) , subway or GO train saves on parking and gas, I believe there is FREE parking still at Ontario Place(they have in the past), just an extra minute or 2 walk.

The GREAT deals went away 20+ years ago so I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about unless they haven't been in 20 years or so

As far as deals go look for the no tax places, 13% off everthing!

I'll be back with the kids again next year