Men arrested for dangerous driving on frozen Lake Scugog

I'mHooked

My truck & car are covered when out on the lake , I checked last week , part of my job is to take my clients ice fishing, my employer wouldn't let me if I weren't insured,

I also have a 6A endorsement....( coverage to transport paying customers)

Years ago I passed 2 OPP officers on Ski-Doo Safari Cheyenne 503.... I was in my 1983 T-Bird doing over 200K... they caught up to me miles later and gave me crap , there wasan't a fine on the books they could issue me, there is NO speed limit on a lake over 100m wide or unless posted like no wake zones , but does that appy to a Truck or ATV , Smowmachine?

Randy

:canadian:

I caught something about this on the radio yesterday and that's what they were talking about. Nothing wrong with the fast driving but they were doing donuts not too far away from people and apparantly close enough to perhaps put them in danger.

No speed limits on open water either, but if your doing crazy stuff in your boat and putting others in danger I'm sure you can be dinged for that too...and rightfully so.

I caught something about this on the radio yesterday and that's what they were talking about. Nothing wrong with the fast driving but they were doing donuts not too far away from people and apparantly close enough to perhaps put them in danger.

No speed limits on open water either, but if your doing crazy stuff in your boat and putting others in danger I'm sure you can be dinged for that too...and rightfully so.

Yup, this one is all about endangering other people.

Anyone who thinks there is nothing wrong with it would probably reconsider if it was happening close to your hut...

Quite possible. But I bet if I'd had a few words with the driver about the danger he was putting people in and then ended up popping him in the mouth I'd be in more hot water.

Yup this would be the route I would take..Id be in more trouble the idiots scaring the hell out of everyone

seems strange to me, I mean I am sure these guys were up to no good and were likely fooling around on the ice. We have all seen it on the ice, but I dunno, something just feels weird about it. What if they were riding ATV's? or snowmobiles on the ice? Would it all of a sudden be ok to be bombing around on the lake? What if it was software season and in boats doing donuts or tail walks in a boat? Like I said, just seems weird to me.

Edited by jedimaster

seems strange to me, I mean I am sure these guys were up to no good and were likely fooling around on the ice. We have all seen it on the ice, but I dunno, something just feels weird about it. What if they were riding ATV's? or snowmobiles on the ice? Would it all of a sudden be ok to be bombing around on the lake? What if it was software season and in boats doing donuts or tail walks in a boat? Like I said, just seems weird to me.

All it takes is a 911 call of actions deemed reckless endangerment involving a motor vehicle.

Even in soft water. Watched a pair of jerkskis swamp a canoe and called 911. Had the pleasure of watching the OPP collect them at the boat ramp after helping the canoists out of the water.

Edited by bigugli

The 2 idiots were doing doughnuts around ice huts and chasing each other around on the ice !!!! Eyewitnesses said they were driving fast and reckless as their were kids and people and pets on the ice and they were driving in between groups of people at high speed !!!!! That's probly why the laid that charge !!!! And the charge probly will stick as they have so many witnesses ....

Yes, dangerous driving charges could be laid on any motor vehicle causing endangerment to others. No grey area here.

If you're whipping around people's property, people, children and pets and not keeping their safety in mind in the slightest , you could be on a garden tractor and still get those fines.

The 2 idiots were doing doughnuts around ice huts and chasing each other around on the ice !!!! Eyewitnesses said they were driving fast and reckless as their were kids and people and pets on the ice and they were driving in between groups of people at high speed !!!!! That's probly why the laid that charge !!!! And the charge probly will stick as they have so many witnesses ....

I've got no problem with those charges if this is the case.

Can't be charged with speeding as there is no speed limit on the lake (30 meters from shore) In most provinces there is a 10 kph speed limit within 30 metres (100 feet) from shore. Fine is $125. Maximum fine is $500 or six months imprisonment. (Canada Shipping Act: Boating Restriction Regulations)... but because there are people out on the lake, vehicles, shacks ETC a "dangerous driving" charge was the call, and thats exactly what it is, A judgment call by the officer. I actually just went over this with an Officer of the Totonto Peel detatchment at the Toronto Boat show last month

An excellent question.

Your insurance is void once your vehicle goes on the ice...so surely these charges won't affect their insurance...

The fire department was making $$$ cops wanted in too!

"Comprehensive coverage on a vehicle covers falling through the ice" just in from my INS broker, I PM'd her through FB and that was her response

This might have come out of the fact that a lady from the Owen Sound area was recently drowned in a car that went through the ice near Peterborough in December , I believe. They were doing donuts on the ice as they'd apparently done for years and alcohol might have also been a factor in that case.