tip's on getting an old jiffy running?

chris f.

hey there guys.. i found my dads old jiffy under the cottage while i was up there last month. it had been under there for like 10-15 years, but he left some oil in the tank and the plug is clean. i want to get her running before the end of the season, but i don't want to wreck it. it still looks like it was just bought. any tips would be appreciated... i'm good with engine and carb work, but never worked on an auger.. thanks in advance, cheers icon_biggrin.gif

If your good at carbc, then you should be good for any motor issues. How does the blade look? Motor may run good but if the blade is rusted bad, or is dull, it won't cut well.

Saw two guys both leaning hard on one gas augar on the weekend. That's what it took to make it cut ice. Either dull, or the in incorrect angle on the blade(s). They can make it a real pain in the but.

I would pull the plug, clean carb, and soak it inside the cylinder with some deep creep or sea foam or something like that, let it sit, then pull the starter cord slowly make sure it gets fully lubbed up before firing it up. The rings will likely be seized to some degree and likely a fair bit of rust inside if it sat for that long. No big rush to get it fired up so just go easy on her and she will treat you well for a long time,

Mix some fresh 24:1 and give it a pull... then go cut holes in the ice!

i agree with irishfield. mix some super 24:1 and start it up. today i started mine after 2 years of sitting. all i did was pour out the old fuel and put in the new. pulled the cord twice. primed till i could hear the fuel going in and on the third pull it started. i did this at 5pm and plan on fishing in the morning. Thats what i think about my Jiffy. Never fails me.

All i hope now is that i can find the fish tomorrow